1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Stock Android???

Discussion in 'Android Q&A' started by Jose Cazares, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jose Cazares

Jose Cazares Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5, nexus 7
    Why does Google make android open source?? They get angry at Samsung for messing with android too much yet they allow developers to create new roms and they're totally ok with it. So if they don't want OEMS to mess with android why doesn't Google just not make android open source???

2. Swapnil Kolhe

Swapnil Kolhe Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Micromax Canvas 250 and Moto X
    I got one reason for this..Google's profit is mostly by searches...and Android serves the thing they want !

3. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that Google was angry at Samsung for messing with Android, rather that Google and Samsung both have different visions and goals for their mobile businesses, which sometimes causes the two to clash. I see the issue as falling into two categories.

Firstly, Google wants to protect and maintain Android as a unique entity. Given that Samsung is the largest OEM in the Android space, there is a tendency for general consumers (and some of the media too) to lop Android and Samsung in together, which Google obviously can't let happen. As for the open-source aspect, that isn't a free ticket to do what you want with the software and claim it as your own. Fair use, and all that, means that Google rightly deserves recognition for the bulk of the work that it does in steering the platform, hence the pressure to include little icons like "powered by Android" and its own software services, so that consumers know that Samsung is building on a larger platform, and not running it itself.

Secondly, Google very happy to keep Android open-source as the entire point of the project was (and is) to provide manufacturers with a free operating system in order to keep prices and features competitive with the likes of Apple and MS. Google makes its money from advertising through Android, it was never interested in competing in the hardware space. Instead, the company generates revenue through additional services like the Play Store and Google Drive. As Samsung has attempted to cut into Google business in this regard, through its own Samsung accounts, store, and media services, Google feels (perhaps rightly) that Samsung is undermining its business strategy, which it views as fair payment for putting the OS together in the first place.

I hope that sheds some light on the situation. :)

4. GVG82

GVG82 Member

Devices:
    Nexus 4(owned Previously), LG Optimus G Pro(E988) (Owning now)
    Stock android is only for those who arent concerned with the internal software look of the device.

5. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I think you got it all wrong. Google loves when company's modify Android. For example when Facebook did their thing, Google openly showed their joy by saying how this is what they intended. I think the reason Google got pissed at Samsung is because Samsung turned Android into what they think Tizen is gonna be so when/if they flip, the user won't feel it as much (or at all, depending on the user). This cold war Samsung and Google got going on is all about Tizen. Samsung getting in bed with Apple is another in a long line of chess moves.
    That's how i see it.

6. GVG82

GVG82 Member

Devices:
    Nexus 4(owned Previously), LG Optimus G Pro(E988) (Owning now)
    See, I just wanna say that Google's stock android ROM is not as heavily customised as companies like lg, htc or Samsung