should I update Android?

Posted Jul 31, 2017 by Big Dan

?

Should I update from Lollipop on my HTC M8?

1. Yes, to Marshmallow

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes, to Nougat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Dan

Big Dan Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Hello,

I wasn't sure which section of the forum to post this in. I would've thought an Android Questions section but I didn't see one. Hopefully this works as well.

I just bought an HTC M8 from Craigslist. It's been going well so far.

It's running Lollipop which is what I was using on my last phone as well. I'm wondering if I should update? I haven't gotten any alerts to do so for some reason. I don't know what the pros and cons are. I'm guessing updates slow down the phone (if the phone isnt recent enough to handle it) but I'm not sure.

For what it's worth the release date for this phone is March 2014.

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    That is a no brainer. As having the latest edition of android that is available for your device on it, will protect you from any security risks.

3. Big Dan

Big Dan Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Oh OK, good to know. But won't updating also slow it down? This phone was released 3 years ago after all. Not sure how old it is as I bought it on Craigslist.

If you're the person who voted why did you vote for Marshmallow as opposed to Nougat?

4. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Because you can only update to the Marshmallow via HTC's official OTA firmware update.