1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Should I get the OnePlus One 64 Gb?

Discussion in 'OnePlus Smartphones' started by Mewtwo, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    My friend has 3 invites, but his parents won't let him buy it so he said he might give it to me. But even then, I would need to borrow money from my parents and it would take me a year to pay it off. Is it worth upgrading a GS4 to a OPO? Anyone have any experiences with the phone? And what happens if I get the yellow banding? Can I send it back in for a replacement?

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    The yellow band thing was just one batch of phones so there's no chance you will get it. It's a really good phone but seeing you got a S4, it might be just better porting CM on that. That Snap.600 is not a bad SOC. Unless you really need a bigger screen, than you're still good with the S4.

3. BubbleBalls

BubbleBalls Member Scrap Metal

The yellow band affected more than one batch. There are thousands of posts on the topic,with many more posts deleted. I returned mine due to the yellow band. It was horrible.

4. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Still, i would imagine they got that sorted by now.

5. mhilarius

mhilarius Member

Devices:
    HTC One M7
    Ask yourself this one question:
    "Do I want to reward a company for using this weird marketing practice of invitations?"
    If so, buy one.
    If not, then don't!

pasiman and Luka like this.
  6. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Oh man, i got to agree with this one :D

7. Mewtwo

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    I did flash CM on my S4. It's pretty good, but it crashes a lot and I'm planning on giving it to my mom (who has an S3 which is on the verge of dying).

8. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    That's strange. I would imagine the S4 official CM is stable.

9. sycotik

sycotik Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S
    Check out the GPE 4.4.4 Rom that Danvdh (i think that is how you spell his name) on XDA. It is what I have now on my S4 and I could not be happier. He was one of the first to do a 4.4.4 ROM for the Galaxy and he said he will continue through Android L if possible.

10. Mewtwo

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    It keeps in crashing clash of Clans and Android authority (ironically) for me

11. srigirin

srigirin Member

OPO is a very good phone and you will surely have a better experience compared to GS4. But if you have difficulty shelling out money then I recommend you get rid of your GS4 via eBay or some other way and add little money to that and go for OPO.
    Btw, OPO is priced way lesser than all the other known high end smartphones.

Mewtwo likes this.
  12. Mewtwo

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    Thanks for your insight. But my mom's S3 is breaking (software) and she scared of flashing a new ROM (she has a lot of data on her phone) so I'm going to give her my S4 if she decides to let me buy it.

13. Mewtwo

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    I would, but I don't want to get all my data back again. I lost almost everything after a failed backup after a ROM flash.

14. Trusted Khan

Trusted Khan Member

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Young S5360
    I like OPO too, its real value for money I think.
    Look at the specs and compare the price with big names.
    Its hell lot of difference in price compare to the giant names in the market.

15. moazzem1970

moazzem1970 Member

I just ordered for two opo and I think it's no less than galaxy note 3 in terms of speed.

16. Trusted Khan

Trusted Khan Member

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Young S5360
    As for the OPO, if you are going for 64GB, then it is really best. Surely it is better than Note 3 even in price.
    So really good decision.

17. Exiledpageone

Exiledpageone Member Scrap Metal

I am truly over the OPO on principle. Never have I ever thought I would see a day where people would beg a company to take the money. They lost me.

Luka likes this.
  18. dizzle

dizzle Member

Devices:
    OnePlus one
    They did lose you. Because you're gonna overpay. Only the yet to be released galaxy note 4 beats the OnePlus one in specs and that's because it's really a 2015 phone. You can get a HTC one m8, and get lesser RAM, a smaller battery, a smaller screen, a weaker megapixel camera and pay $300 more. You can get a galaxy s5, and get the lesser battery, lesser Ram, you'd get a better back camera but a weaker front camera, and overpay $300. You can get a lg g3, get a older so android version, smaller battery (especially with all those pixels) laggy performance, bloat, same RAM, same megapixel camera (minus the lasers), same storage, and pay $350 more.

I know the invite system blows, but they're offering the same specs as the 2014 flagship's at LITERALLY half the price. Why overpay, you'll be carrier locked likely, have to get your updates through lg and your carrier, pay more, and the lg g3 is running the snapdragon 801 which is hurting it as it should be running the 805. The phone is not right for everyone. Do what's best for you and your wallet

19. mihai dumitrescu

mihai dumitrescu Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    nexus 5, samsung tab p3110
    Although I support OPO, I wouldn't buy a phone, which is serviced only in China, if that meant borrowing money and needing a year to pay it off. I bought it knowing that if it ever breaks down and I can't service it in Europe, loosing 350$ won't be a problem for me, since I have enough money to buy another phone right away.

20. RustyToat

RustyToat Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 4, OnePlus One, Asus Transformer TF101
    How much storage do you have on your S4? 64GB really is an amazing breather, and it's better than a microSD card because you can easily install apps, e.t.c. The experience is miles better, but if you're willing to flash CM or some other ROM. Then the software would be about the same. If performance an battery life are good on your S4 (both of which are one of if not the best on the OPO) then again its not a big incentive to upgrade. Finally that screen, its very big yes and its great, but its not something I would upgrade over (screen size isn't a feature worth upgrading for).
    Your S4 is still a good phone and unless you have any serious problems you should be fine for say the next Nexus or whatever comes out in a couple years. I would still have a Nexus 4 if it wasn't for the cracked screen.