SD Memory Card won't mount on Galaxy Tab A

Posted Apr 19, 2016 by ThePlantGuy

1. ThePlantGuy

ThePlantGuy Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Tablet Tab A
    I recently bought a Tab A on sale at WalMart. The salesperson insisted she was the electronics expert but knew little more than ringing up the purchase. I am wanting to read/playback a PowerPoint file that I created and stored on a 10GB Sandisk SD card from my desktop (using a USB adapter - which was successful so the card has to formatted correctly). When I put the SD in the Tab A, all I get from the software (Apps, Storage) is Mount the SD card msg. - which I click on and nothing happens. Is the card supposed to click in place (it doesn't). I tried another brand of 10GB SD card (Toshiba) and the same thing happens. Any suggestions ??

2. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    To access your files, you need to use a file manager, you can use the stock one or get one on Play Store. Just open the file manager and navigate to SD Card and you will have your files there.

3. ThePlantGuy

ThePlantGuy Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Tablet Tab A
    Thanks for your reply. I went to the installed file mgr. (MY FILES), and clicked on documents - No Files. I tried the Local Storage option (Device Storage), again no files are recognized. I opened the MS Apps PowerPoint and went to the Open Other Presentations, opened Storage, then Documents = Folder is empty. You know from my earlier post, the Settings route ended with asking to load the SD card (won't do anything). I'm not sure the Tablet is recognizing the extended memory card. How can I confirm that it seeing it & what's on it ??

4. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    There's no point on going to Device storage, head on to SD card, there should be a option to do so.
    To check if it is inserted, head over to settings->storage, scroll down, you will have details about your SD.

5. Phoenix777

Phoenix777 Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 + nook, Macbook Air
    My suggestion would be to returne all of the SD cards that you have bought and purchase a Samsung Evo SD card. You will not have any problems with it and it's completely compatible with all Samsung tablets. There have been some reported problems using other brands of SD cards with Samsung tabs. Always better to use Samsung SD cards with Samsung devices.

6. Bryant2010

Bryant2010 Member Scrap Metal

I am currently on my third Samsung Tab A as it will not hold the SD card for more than a few days then starts letting it slip out. This is a card that came with the tablet. I'm thinking there is a flaw with the design as the third one just started doing it today after only three days. Samsung only says to return it for repair to a Best buy four states away. Is anyone else having the same issue with Samsung?

7. Ishan96

Ishan96 Member Scrap Metal

I have Samsung evo SD card.. facing same problem.

8. soybean

soybean Member Scrap Metal

I have the 8 inch version of the Galaxy Tab A and I have a microSD card in it. I bought it March 2016 and have not had a problem with the microSD card sliding out of place. The slot for your memory card has a little cap/cover on it, right? Does it stay in place?

If I go to Settings, Storage, the microSD card appears under Portable storage.

9. Andy Mion

Andy Mion Member Scrap Metal

I recently have bought Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 580N (version 2016). On it, the card reader is really deep. You just need to have long fingernails or some object to push the card until it clicks in place (or a girlfriend to do it for you). The same to un-mount.
    I had severe problems with my SD Card. It was recognized, but as soon I put any files (.pdf in my case) on it, the system started to see card as damaged. Reformatting was kinda on loop - when it was formatted the system still saw it as damaged and suggested re-formatting. When with tricks and kicks the system saw SD card, the PDF's were still read with errors and it only did so untill the next reboot. Then the card was again recognized as damaged. Samsung's suggestion was to get theirs Evo SD cards. Which I thought was total BS, as my card is very standard one from Sandisk and it showed no errors on any PC test whatsoever. I exchanged tablet and it had the very same defect. Frustrated, I went to a local shop and got myself a third one (to try a different production batch). Oh, miracle! 3rd one had no problem with my SD card. Functions well.
    The morale of this story is - never give up on Samsung! Try many devices, from different production batches (buy from different shops) - sooner or later, maybe, you gonna find a working device.
    And guard your receipts like treasury bonds! You'll need them for warranty repair.

10. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Sometimes these things happen. When you purchase anything electronic related there is always a chance of you getting a lemon. But chances of that happening are quite rare as most electronics manufacturers put their products through allot of testing before releasing them to the general public.

11. Goat

Goat Member Scrap Metal

I had the same problem and fixed it by carefully using a knife to push the sd card in until hearing a reassuring click.
    (Non Samsung sd card btw)

12. Martin Kirsch

Martin Kirsch Member Scrap Metal

I was having the same problem and I agree with the above post in solving it. I had to push-in the SD microcard ( mine is a Sandisk ) into the slot with a largish flat-tip screwdriver until it stays-in completely and the flap remains secure and closed. It will be recognised under settings as portable SD card and also under 'my files'. Make sure it is mounted. You can't push-it into the slot with your fingers because it is deeply recessed. To remove the card it will simply 'pop-out' if you tap on it with the tip of the screwdriver making sure that it is unmounted before removal.

13. Martin Kirsch

Martin Kirsch Member Scrap Metal

Dear "Goat" I agree with your solution to the problem. See my follow-on post. Thanks for posting - simple isn't it !