Screen Overlay detached turn off to allow permissions

Posted Jul 25, 2016 by jleighbrigman

1. lisap470

lisap470 Member Scrap Metal

I just came on here looking for a solution to the same problem and thankfully the suggestion someone made to uninstall battery cleaner apps or booster apps etc etc, worked. I had something called DU battery saver and DU Booster apps on my phone so I just took them off and Bingo, the overlay message has stopped coming up!
    Hopefully that's the end of this overlay problem as I was getting very close to launching my new phone against the nearest wall as it was so frustrating

2. Vincimom

Vincimom Member Scrap Metal

Just wanted to share how I solved it in my note 5 because this problem is quite irritating and hard to figure out. I searched and searched for answers. The sample applications mentioned are not even in mine. Good thing I have a spare phone which I used for awhile but this issue bothered me since Nov 2016. Today I started deleting apps one by one. The culprit was outlook app and i think the accuweather. The moment i uninstalled it everything went back to normal. Goodluck.

3. Christal

Christal Member Scrap Metal

Screen overlay is caused from an app that is downloaded so if you put your phone in safe mode (Google safe mode for your type of device) then once in safe mode go to settings-apps-application manager-tap on app that you were try to use when you got screen overlay message- select permissions-turn on all permissions-turn boot out of safe mode and boom it is fixed!

4. Bigmike61

Bigmike61 Member Scrap Metal

On my Note 4 it was DU speed booster app, and CM speed booster. Uninstaller both. Message allow app access, answered yes and all apps working as they should.

5. Johnny bravo

Johnny bravo Member Scrap Metal

6. Johnny bravo

Johnny bravo Member Scrap Metal

uninstall what's app..sorry didn't see how old this post was..

7. Michael Clavette

Michael Clavette Member Scrap Metal

Hello..I was going crazy too..disable lookout and then uninstall it..totally fixed it for me!

8. Michael Clavette

Michael Clavette Member Scrap Metal

9. Abhi.shekc

Abhi.shekc Member Scrap Metal

Hey Guys, everyone answers helped me to put full stop.
    1.It is because of apps... find after which 2 to latest apps installed than problem accord find and uninstall one by and check on screen overlay after each app is removed..
    2.My cell is Smasung J7 2016.
    3. App troubled me is TrueCaller ID.
    4. If u really want use the app and to solve issue find proper settings in that particular app.
    5. i made changes in true caller id now im using it and issue is solved too.
    Im Computer guy so i guess best possible ways i found i have suggested.. Thanks to u Since u posted problem.. And thanks to all for helping me out

10. Terri

Terri Member Scrap Metal

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 (not the edge or note). Yesterday, I had the same problem with the error message about screen overlay. It wasnt the first I was seeing the message but because I knew that the Screenshot touch App was the problem I just went to settings and turn off the draw over other apps feature. However this time was different. I had just updated Whatsapp to its new Snapchat looking features (thats what everyone says its now Whatsnap) and the whatsapp was freezing all the time. Only the whatsapp though.So I said I am reverting to the factory settings of Whatsapp. So I uninstalled whatsapp and then reinstalled it then the permissions were not being able to turned on for whatsapp to access camera,messages,mic etc because of the screen overlay error popup. I said this is just awful. I turn off all of the other apps even system apps that are drawing over other apps and NOTHING changed. I said how could this be. I came on here and they said if you have Swipe turn it off but I dont have SWIPE.So I read again and they said if you have CLEAN MASTER or any antivirus apps uninstall them. So I did have CLEAN MASTER, CM SECURITY antivirus and I uninstall all of them. I took off my Theme and wall paper which was GLASS TECH 3D LIVE wallpaper and still NOTHING changed. I then read some more and they said that if you see a bubble at the top of your screen then that is the app that is causing the trouble. I looked and saw a tick. I said oh CM LAUNCHER I am going to uninstall you. I did and I had no more SCREEN OVERLAY errors. The weird part is CM Launcher is still existing on the phone I dont know how it is uninstalled yet still in the settings so I guess it maybe the latest update of CM Launcher that affected the phone and didnt work with my installing of a new app-WHATSAPP.

UPDATE: March 2,2017 I was trying to post to Facebook a status message with photo from my gallery. I received the same screen overlay problem saying I need to allow storage as a permission for Facebook. I was upset once more but this time the solution was uninstall Facebook and reinstall Facebook and the problem disappeared.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  11. Carlise

Carlise Member Scrap Metal

Its an app causing this issue. I only hadnew phone 2 days so fixing was easy and no need to factory reset. I started by uninstalling Facebook. Didn't fix issue. I uninstalled messenger an that fixed the problem. No more overlay issues with pictures or anything else.

Oh and I reinstalled Facebook and all is still fine.

12. Patrick Michael O'Leary

Patrick Michael O'Leary Member Scrap Metal

Launchers Launchers Launchers.
    If you were playing around with some launchers, you may have some leftover junk from a previous launcher.

I had two other launchers before I switched to Nova/Prime. The previous two left some optimization tools that was causing this problem for me.

I agree it is definitely an APP causing the problem.

13. Mel

Mel Member Scrap Metal

I've solved mine. First I deleted CM and that solved part of the problem but not all of it.

I went through my most recently installed apps that overlay screens and remembered that my floating toolbox app was recently updated. I turned it off and that solved the problem completely. I then updated the permissions I needed to update and then switched my floating toolbar app back on.

That's it, it's as easy as that. It's been bugging me for days. I'm on Samsung Galaxy S6.

14. Bizzybody

Bizzybody Member Scrap Metal

I've had this Screen Overlay problem with my Motorola Moto G3. Having tried several recommendations to rectify the problem of not being able to open Gallery to see my photos, I read about security programs being the problem. I decided to uninstall my 360 Security - Antivirus system to see if this was causing my frustration, and it worked! having spent hours turning various things off and on - as suggested in on-screen advice - I'm now back in business! Thanks everyone!

15. Roccobb

Roccobb Member Scrap Metal

I had the same problem. Out was the mobile 360 security app I had. I deleted out and it took care of threw problem.

16. Warwick Weston Wright

Warwick Weston Wright Member Scrap Metal

I got this problem when installing a new app.
    The way I got around this problem is to manually enable the permissions for the newly installed app (before running the app).
    I’m pretty sure this is a problem with Android and Samsung devices in particular.
    Hope this helps

17. Nat1001

Nat1001 Member Scrap Metal

Okay if you have ES File Explorer and you have the ES Swipe That will cause this.

18. culpritz

culpritz Member Scrap Metal

Just go to SAFEMODE and then you can easily give permission to apps that asking you to have permission...

to enter safemode press POWER button when the pOP up bar which ask you to Reboot, power off etc...

just long press the POWER OFF until you get a message that it will reboot in SAFEMODE....

sorry that was for the SONY devices..

here to go SAFEMODE in all SAMSUNG devices..
    TURN OFF your PHONE..
    LONG PRESS the VOLUME DOWN button then press POWER BUTTON..

NOTE: still HOLD the VOLUME DOWN button until you go to the phone's MAIN SCREEN...

19. phuwin

phuwin Member Scrap Metal

It is one application or two that you just installed cause this issue. Try to delete some recently installed applications to see if that works. You can always reinstall those.
    It was ES File explorer with my Samsung J5