1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

S5 heating issue

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S5' started by George, Jun 18, 2014.

1. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    I recently bought a galaxy s5, and when i switch on data and browse or download, within a minute it starts heating on the right side of the phone ,the bezels and back side (when facing the screen). After few more minutes of intensive browsing it starts heat as much as it is really discomforting for my hands. Is it normal with galaxy s5 sm-g900h. Please? Thank you.

2. mobilecrackers

mobilecrackers Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    galaxy note1 , s4 , s5360, S3, Apple 4s,Apple i pad
    this might be a hardware problem. you will get a replace..

George likes this.
  3. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    Thank you for the advise. But just to know, do you know whether, usually in galaxy s5s, more is heat is seen in the right side than the left side(during first few minutes).Do you own a s5?

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Like @mobilecrackers said no its not normal with S5, I think you should get your device replaced. I am pretty mush sure this over heating problem is happening because of some hardware issue, you might be having an active warranty, get to the support store and ask for replacement. :mad:

5. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    Ok i'm gonna show it to service centre. Thank you too. Just that my friend told me that his s4 had the same amount of heat dissipation, or even more.

6. mobilecrackers

Devices:
    your S5 is very new and have the heating problem at the beginning . you will get a replace. :)
    post back if you got a replace..

7. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    ok.

8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5, Galaxy S Fascinate. Verizon
    Not normal at all.

My S5 does not get warm with any amount of use through the day.

The only time I feel any warmth from it is when it is charging.

9. mobilecrackers

Devices:
    same issue. get a replace

10. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    I went to service center and i showed it to the guy, turning on data and browsing on flipboard and play store. There my device didn't reach to the temperature that i experienced at my home. There we came to a conclusion that, less range at my home and browsing on 2g ( 3g is not available everywhere here) are the reason for heating. It does not get that temperature when browsing on 3g, And battery back-up is also good.

11. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Hmmm.. that sounds weird I don't think that less range and browsing on 2G will result in hotter mobile phone !! :eek: Try doing the same thing again ... i.e browse over the 2G network !!o_O

12. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    I came to the above conclusion after long testings and browsing . When i went to service center, i tried the same things on my s5 and another of my friend's (recent friend). Phones where not much hot, but still his s5 became slightly more hotter than mine, probably because he is using some 3rd party launcher. And there was an article about iphone battery saving, in that to save battery they recommended to turn of mobile network when user is in low range area because the phone tries to strengthen its receiving antenna at that time. This is probably implemented in other phones too. In practical phone gets hotter if you browse flipboard on 2g than in 3g and is same in case of downloading too. There are more to tell regarding this, but as you may get bored i'm stopping. Thank you all.

13. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Well, I think that could be the reason behind the device getting hot while operating ! I have tried doing the same as you said about it and yes some sort of heating is there !! Yes, I'll not get bored if you can feed me with more of the information with on why browsing on 2G is gets the phone hotter but the case is different with the 3G.

14. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    Actually i don't know the exact reason behind why phones get hotter while downloading or (heavy)browsing on 2g than in 3g. But what i think the reason is that the phone takes more time to receive data and there by i think up-link and down-link data time is more while on 2g. i.e , processor is working for more time as well as antenna.

John Farrell likes this.
  15. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Hmm.... that explains somewhat the reason behind the device getting hotter !! I guess this might be the reason ..... :rolleyes:

16. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    And other than that, the above process causes fast battery drain. Fast battery drain makes battery to gain very high temperature. Battery temperature is proportional to battery use:( :).

17. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Hmm... got it the lesser the temperature the lesser the battery drain the higher the temperature higher will be the battery drain, :D it seems much more physics formula than........ !!

18. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5, Galaxy S Fascinate. Verizon
    It is NOT whether you are on 1x, 2g or 3g or 4g,

it is the strength of the received signal in your area.

If the incoming signal is weak, then your phone's transmit signal must be stronger to get to the cell site.
    To do that, the phone's control software ramps up the transmit power so that the outgoing signal is stronger.
    Doing that causes the transmitter to use more battery power, and the transmitter's output amplifier runs hotter.

If there is a lot of interference in your area, the cellsite will communicate to your phone that it is having a hard time "hearing you", turn up your Transmit Power. Your phone's control software does just that, cranks up the Transmit Power.

All cellphone transmitters are controlled by the cellsite. It is a design feature to minimize the amount of interference to the system.

ie, you are very close to the cellsite, so the cellsite tells your phone to "shut up already", so your phone cranks the power "way down" because a whisper is all that is needed to get to the cellsite. That results in lower power used and your phone runs cooler.

. My verbiage used is to imply the results, the technical verbiage behind the system is way too involved for users with no communications knowledge/education.

George likes this.
  19. George

George Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S5
    That was informative and very well said. And there is one more thing that we should keep in mind, that is, in practical at times, there is a chance that when browsing heavily or downloading on 2g, the phone feels more hot than that on 3g. Because it takes more than 5 times the time that a phone would take on doing the same thing on 3g. i.e processor, antenna and battery is working more here. To be more clear, an example - we can move your hand through candle flame but our hand feels more hot when touching a something half hot(temperature) as that of flame.

20. Swapnil Kolhe

Swapnil Kolhe Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Micromax Canvas 250 and Moto X
    You can not rule out hardware problem..but this thing also happens when there is no earthing with the electrical connection at ur place..make sure your charging point socket has proper earthing.

When Socket point does not hav earthing then such things happens as static electricity build-up, current leakage, etc.
    which gives excessive heat to your device when eletrons are flowing randomly and may further damage the device.

When ur ph dsnt get properly charged..then battery drains faster providing excessive heat to the device.
    This case has 80% possibility of not earthing ur socket point !

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014