Question about buying unlocked phones

Posted Jan 25, 2015 by atmosferious

1. atmosferious

atmosferious Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    HTC one m8
    I'm looking at buying an unlocked phone over ebay or amazon. But with the whole GSM vs. CDMA, I dont really know how to buy something if it's a phone from the US.

I was looking at buying a samsung note 4 at the moment. And I was wondering, if I buy an unlocked phone from ebay which was recently unlocked from at&t, will it work with Bell? I'm very confused over the whole GSM and CDMA, or HSPA stuff.

I know the specifications for the at&t samsung note 4 are as follows:

FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE
    2G GSM : 850/900/1800/1900;
    3G WCDMA : Band I/Band II/Band V;
    4G (LTE Cat 4 150/50Mbps) : B2 / B4 / B5 / B12 / B17 ***
    taken from the at&t website

so will these specifications work with the bell canada network? thanks

2. Jonathan Feist

Jonathan Feist Team AA Staff Member Team AA Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 6P, honor MediaPad X2, LG Urbane
    Depending on where you live, yes, Bell should be able to run that phone on their LTE and 2G bands, if nothing else. But that is not a certainty.

To be sure, and more importantly, to make sure the phone is legit and legal, try to contact the seller and acquire the IMEI number of the device (which they probably won't/shouldn't give,) then run the device through Bell's tools. (Or have them run the device and provide screenshots.)

First tool, Bell compatibility checker: This will show you for sure if the phone will work with Bell in your area.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma...k_if_you_can_bring_your_mobile_device_to_bell

Second tool, Stolen device check: As the name implies, Bell will not activate a known stolen device, be sure it's clean before you spend your money.

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/

From there, don't hesitate to call Bell customer service and tell them what you are up to. They get paid to help you through this sort of stuff and can at least verify the frequencies and bands available in your area, so you can match to the phone's list of supported frequencies.

I would also mention to be sure that the device has a proper SIM tray, so you can take out the AT&T SIM and insert the new Bell SIM, but I don't think the Note 4 comes in a non-SIM version, so you should be good to go there.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone!

3. singerskates1

singerskates1 New Member Scrap Metal Drone Droid

Wait for the Google Pixel XL because it will be able to use all networks including Band 6 LTE which Wind Mobile will have up and running in late December 2016.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Jonathan Feist

Jonathan Feist Team AA Staff Member Team AA Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 6P, honor MediaPad X2, LG Urbane
    Good recommendation at this point.

Are you really using your Nexus 7 still!? That's fantastic, you're my hero of the hour.

5. singerskates1

I am still waiting to hear from Google if the Pixel & Pixel XL will support AWS-3/LTE Band 66 as WIND mobile will be turning on their AWS-3/LTE Band 66 spectrum in December 2016 or January 2017. I sent @madebygoogle some tweets about this, but so far, I haven't gotten an answer. With the high price of the Pixel phones, I can not afford to buy them if AWS-3/LTE Band 66 is not supported. If they do not support AWS-3/LTE Band 66, I will be forced to buy they LG V20 which does support it.

I am not leaving WIND Mobile for a phone because I refuse to pay 3 times the monthly fee for what I have in Canada and the USA. Why should I pay for a phone 5 times with monthly fees, when I can buy my phone outright and then get a discount for the rest of the time I stay with them off of my monthly rate? And with WIND Mobile stepping into the LTE arena with AWS-3/Band 66, I'll be laughing all the way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. singerskates1

Got my Google Pixel XL 128 inmy hands, right now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. AniqaS

AniqaS Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 6p
    There are few phones on Amazon.ca that says. (Canada compatible)...I think those phones will be working Canadian mobile Carrier? I.e. BLU or Huawei honor...etc?

8. singerskates1

Bought a wireless charger from Amazon to. hargre my Nexus 7 2013 32 tablet because it will no longer charge with the USB B connecter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk