Problems with screen overlay and permissions

Posted Apr 7, 2017 by clayto3

1. clayto3

clayto3 Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Tab A
    I am being blocked from using many of my apps. When I try to launch a popup says 'screen overlay detected' and there is a link to Settings to disable it so that relevant permissions can be granted. I then get just about every error I can think of, depending on which app it is:

1. the app is not shown in the list in Settings
    2. if the app is listed it may show the overlay permission is already switched off
    3. if the permission is shown as on, it may not be possible to switch it off
    4. if it can be switched to off it still does not allow the app to launch
    5. in the list of permissions, such as location, photo or whatever the required permission cannot be switched on

To me it seems a complete foul up. Advice will be welcome!

Samsung Tab A with Marshmallow

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Blaze0321

Blaze0321 Member Scrap Metal

Try disabling lookout on your phone

3. clayto3

Devices:
    Samsung Tab A
    Hello ---- thanks for your response. There is nothing called Lookout on my deviicce ( a tablet not a phone). Searching lists a security app with that name but I do not have it.

4. Blaze0321

Blaze0321 Member Scrap Metal

What kind of device is it

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

5. clayto3

Devices:
    Samsung Tab A
    Hello --- it is the Samsung Tab A with Marshmallow

6. clayto3

Devices:
    Samsung Tab A
    After more or less abandoning my Android for several weeks, while reading articles which explained that the screen overlay issue is common and utterly confused, with different devices behaving differently and numerous fixes failing, I (a) concluded that the developers deserved to be locked up (b) I solved the problem, with trial and error --- and success! I wish I knew exactly how I did it but the following general points may help someone else a bit:

Often the issue is caused by installed third-party app(s). Which? Alas it is often different ones for different users, some are common like Facebook, others less so. A significant thing to look for is apps which have a button displayed when not running, in order to activate them. For me this has included Taskbar, MultiClipboard, and an optional feature of ES File Manager (a shortcut launcher which is displayed in the screen's lower corner(s). I have not had to uninstall them, just make sure the activation buttons are not themselves activated when you need to grant permissions to an app. I hope this makes some sense.

7. Zachary Lancour

Zachary Lancour Member Scrap Metal

As I was having the same overlay problem for hours and getting totally confused myself, I read your post. It was the ES File Managers display button. I removed the button which removed my screen overlay problem. Thanks CT3

8. clayto3

Devices:
    Samsung Tab A
    I am glad it helped. Mine has been Ok for a while now ---- what a relief!