Problems with Magnetic Case Covers

Posted Jan 15, 2016 by Jake Lam

1. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    I've recent read that allot of people have been experiencing problems while using cases with magnetic covers on their mobile devices. In some cases using cases with magnetic covers will cause problems while using the touchscreen or in the case of the Samsung Galaxy Note series will cause problems with the S-Pen. Has anybody experience these issues while using cases with magnetic covers?

I've been using a folio case with a magnetic cover on my SGN 8.0 WiFi edition for over a year now and I've yet to experience the same problems as what people have said online.

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    This is the first time I herd of such a problem. Theoretically the magnet could cause a problem by attracting a connector that shouldn't be moved. Just a theory anyway.
    That said, if a OEM releases a magnetic cover them self, I'm fairly sure that there shouldn't be any problems what so ever.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  3. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, I've just recently come across these types of problems online. When I was looking into getting a wallet case for my Note 4. But as I've said I have a similar case for my Note 8.0 and I've never experienced any problems with it at all even when using the S-Pen.

4. Mohammad Danish Qureshi

Mohammad Danish Qureshi Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    samsung, huawei, iphone, oneplus, lg
    some magnetic covers are damaged our phone sensors, i was using Samsung s4 and after insert phone in cover its sensor has been damaged.

5. Jake Lam

Devices:
    I've read that you could remedy that problem by simply taking the cover off your phone.

6. Soares_A2

Soares_A2 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Note 4
    Hello.
    I confirm both situations.
    Low-cost brands magnetic covers, make interference with S-Pen proper function, and can actually damage it if used for long time.
    In the beggining the nocive effects disappear after you remove phone from cover.

Tested by myself

7. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Really? They are that bad!! :eek: I wouldn't expect them to be able to cause that much damage to a phone.

8. Soares_A2

Devices:
    Samsung Note 4
    humm yah.
    already tried to wait some days, but a circle with about a inch in middle/right of the screen always remain with problems and lacks of detection by S Pen.
    less than 30days, and exchange in store. open a reclamation in the same store because the magnetic cover, and total refund me.
    Now i'm waiting for a genuine wallet cover from samsung.

9. Jake Lam

Devices:
    The problem is that bad! :eek: So apart from having problems using the S Pen everything else is working OK, you can use the touchscreen with your fingers perfectly fine and everything else works good?

10. Soares_A2

Devices:
    Samsung Note 4
    yes all the phone functions run properly and digitizer works fine with finger

11. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Interesting. Did you get a cheap wallet case or one from a well known brand?

12. Soares_A2

Devices:
    Samsung Note 4
    It was a middle brand I think here in Portugal there is smartphones from this brand, I don't know if I can post brand here.
    in that case with letter change: L@ZER

13. Jake Lam

Devices:
    It should be fine as we are just discussing things and comparing them.

14. rene volpi

rene volpi Member Scrap Metal

How about tablets? I've got a Asus Zenpad. Please advise.

15. Jake Lam

Devices:
    I think it's perfectly fine with tablet as I have a magnetic cover folio case for my Note 8.0. The magnets are at the top and bottom right hand corners of the cover. Been using it for over 2 years and I've had no problems at all. Even the S-Pen still works like the day I brought it.

16. pedrocunha

pedrocunha Member Scrap Metal

Where did you buy yours, here in Portugal?

17. Beto Salcedo

Beto Salcedo Member Scrap Metal

No, they are not perfectly fine with tablets. My Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 was made permanently inoperable by strong case magnets. The bottom of the screen, where the closing magnets were located, acquired a scrambled picture in that area. Even months after removing the magnetic case, the picture remained scrambled. As an artist, this was quite problematic, requiring me to purchase another tablet. Since it is difficult to tell where the cases are made by just the brand, and therefore the quality control level, I now completely avoid cases with magnetic closures. The first sign of troubles was interference with the S Pen.

18. EHFUser

EHFUser Member Scrap Metal

You should personalise your magnetic case - then you will not have such a problem.

19. Adele

Adele Member Scrap Metal

Hi,

Just signed up to this site to post my issue. I had to visit a Samsung store today due to my phone screen not responding. Wouldn't even turn off/on again. Took it out the case..the magnetic flip cover case by SAMSUNG..ordered directly from their website, and still nothing at first.

Eventually it started working and the issue seemed solved, however when I came to open my phone again, the same thing happened. The assistant in the Samsung store ran diagnostics but apart from a software update (no storage to download it for about 2 weeks) it passed everything. The assistant realised it went dodgy everytime it went back into the case, the phone wouldn't respond. He reckons the magnetic piece in the case is to blame, but said he has never come across this issue before. I've had said phone and this case for a couple of years and never had no problems.

Uncertain whether to get another similar case now, but just to let you know this was an official samsung case for a samsung phone. Going to try create some space to download the software update and see if this has any effect on it being in the case.

20. Beto Salcedo

Beto Salcedo Member Scrap Metal

There are usually cases without magnets somewhere. Sometimes you have to look outside of the box. I, personally, just have a cheap phone, but the tablets I own are another matter. Recently, I had a hard time finding a nonmagnetic case for my new Galaxy Tab S3 with S Pen. I am an artist, a writer and disabled, so I use the S Pen for everything, but magnets in cases wreak havoc with the S Pen. Finally, I found some clearance Tab S2 cases on sale at Best Buy- no magnets, and all the tablet buttons and camera were located in the same places as the new S3, so the case works perfectly. I never have to remove the slippery device from its protection in order to use it. The perfect case came in a bundle with an extra stylus, a glass screen protector and an extra USB charging cable for half the cost of the useless Samsung Tab S3 magnetic spine case. Good Luck in your quest.