Pixel C

Posted Aug 3, 2017 by Bucknut8412

1. Bucknut8412

Bucknut8412 Member Scrap Metal

I am looking to get a new tablet and interested in the Pixel C. Does anyone have any idea or heard anything about a new Google tablet soon?

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    At the moment there has not been any word from Google if they are gonna be releasing a tablet this year. As the tablet market has taken a dive this year. However the Pixel C is a pretty good device

3. Bucknut8412

Bucknut8412 Member Scrap Metal

I want to replace my laptop. For my needs I can use Docs and be fine.

4. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    You could always get a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.

5. Motortrend

Motortrend Member Scrap Metal

Well if you're looking for a high-end Android tablet there really are only two choices, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and the Google Pixel C, like you said.

You mentioned the tablet as being a laptop replacement. In this respect the Pixel C wins because of its keyboard- a magnetic keyboard versus the S3's snap-on is much more durable, reliable, and more similar to a full-size laptop keyboard. I never really thought tablets as being all-out laptop replacements since my Lenovo Helix has an 11.6" screen and I got it for $185, but the Pixel C with keyboard is easily lighter than any laptop (or netbook). It's worth to note the keyboard on the S3 is quite crappy as well, plagued by poor software and bugs- for example, the on-screen keyboard sometimes fails to appear even after detaching the physical keyboard. Other times, the S3's screen will automatically lock upon detachment of the physical keyboard- from what I've read the S3's $130 keyboard accessory is pure crap. It should be serviceable to say the least, especially at that price point, but expect a LOT of issues.

Another point of interest was the processor. On paper the SD 820 will blow the X1 away, especially since the X1's eight cores are never active all at the same time- only four maximum depending on the load. But I did a little digging and the X1 seems to be superior in almost every way- especially gaming, which is not too surprising considering the manufacture. The Maxwell GPU especially is far superior in gaming benchmarks (i.e. 3D Mark- Ice Storm Unlimited) than the Adreno 530, meaning it will run any game on the Play Store at maximum graphics despite its age. Another point to note is the RAM- the S3 has one extra gigabyte of RAM over the Pixel C, in which it establishes a clear advantage. However, unless you plan on watching movies, editing documents, photo tweaking and playing demanding games plus 30 different browser tabs open, there really is no difference in performance as the Pixel C's stock android is much more efficient in terms of memory versus Samsung's TouchWiz skin. So in this respect, it kind of evens out the RAM playing field.

Then the storage. A lot of people see the expandable storage on the S3 a clear win- well that's on paper. In practice, Samsung has again failed to incorporate adoptable storage, which means your SD card can only be used for portable files. This isn't much of an issue for average users, but if you're an avid gamer or productivity enthusiast and need space for apps, Samsung's failure to offer any more than the measly 32 GB version is a BIG loss for you. You can root your S3 and move apps to SD card with third-party applications, but who wants to void the OEM warranty for adoptable storage? At least the Pixel C has 64 GB of storage, which should be enough for most people. In fact the 32 GB model isn't even officially available anymore. Another interesting point of note is the SPEED of the storage- how fast apps launch and other important performance tasks depend on the speed of the storage and how fast the device can do certain things. In this respect the Tab S3 loses out- which means you have to wait longer for apps (most notably games) to load. This isn't an issue for most people but for avid tablet users this could pose an issue.

Of course both tablets are not completely void of bugs. The Pixel C in particular. Many users have reported non-responsive touch panels after a short while (1-2 months) which can pose a major threat to long-term users. Another note is the very bad touch responsiveness of the Pixel C- it seems that the S3 has FAR superior touch responsiveness according to Notebook check at 3.2 MS versus a quite crappy 36 MS of the Pixel C. This could be a deal-breaker for a lot of people- especially tablet gamers, since 3D games will appear... different, but in practice this might not be as bad as the 30 FPS cap Samsung has put on the S3 which means though the Adreno 530 is capable of much more 30 FPS is the max. Again, there is a bit of an equivalence point achieved in terms of screen responsiveness and gaming performance.

In the end I would probably choose the Pixel C for serious performance users and the Tab S3 for casual users who want to use their tablet as a secondary device for drawing, casual games, and video watching.