P9 vs P10 vs the world

Posted May 19, 2017 by Mad77

1. Mad77

Mad77 Member Scrap Metal

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new phone, and was interested by the P10 from Huawei, I like the design, the specs seem good, but the component "scandal" is kind of a bad point. Then I noticed that the P9 was half the price of the P10, I think it is quite ugly, but it seem good otherwise.
    So, my question is: Is it justified to pay double to get the P10?

Also, is there a big difference in speed between a P9/P10 and a midrange phone like the A5? The waterproofing is quite an interesting feature.

Thanks!

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Both the P9 and P10 are very good devices and extremely powerful. While the difference in power between the Kirin 955(used in the P9) and the 960(used in the P10) might not be much. The Kirin 960 uses the latest Mali-G71 MP8 GPU, which is more powerful than the Mali-T880 MP4 used in the Kirin 955. So if you are a gamer the P10 would be the better choice.

In comparison to the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 edition both the P9 and P10 smoke them in terms of performance. As the Exynos 7880 SOC is a mid-range SOC, that said it's still a pretty good SOC and can be used for gaming. Just not for 3D intensive heavy games. Also the SGA5 2017 isn't waterproof, it's IP68 Water and Dust resistant. Meaning it can be submerged in a water at a certain depth for a certain period of time.

3. Mad77

Mad77 Member Scrap Metal

Thanks for your answer!
    I'm still not sure about which phone to buy, but I have a better idea of the differences.
    I'm not exactly a gamer but I'd like to run some emulators on the phone, which would probably not be too hard on any of them.

4. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    My advice would be to go into a electronics store and play with the demo models. That way you can get a good feel of the devices to see which is better for you. Personally, I'd go with the P10 as you will be guaranteed to get OS updates for the next 2 years. The same can be said of the SGA5 2017 edition.

5. Mad77

Mad77 Member Scrap Metal

I did exactly that. Went to play with the phones, came back with a blue P10.
    Thanks again for your help!

6. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Glad that you got the device you wanted. The P10 is a excellent choice, I would advise getting a case for it too. Also I forgot to highlight it's exceptional camera performance as it uses a dual sensor system. Which takes excellent pictures.

7. Mad77

Mad77 Member Scrap Metal

The shop gave me a "smart view" case, which is pretty nice, very fancy, and I got the clear case in the box. I'm covered!

8. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Nice. Looks like you got a pretty nice package deal! :)