1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Online storage upload problems

Discussion in 'Android Q&A [Closed]' started by pjtwyman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. pjtwyman

pjtwyman Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Note 8.0 GT-N5110
    I have Dropbox, Dump Truck and Box accounts on my Note 8.0 (Android 4.2.2). When I attempt to upload from the tablet Dump truck and Dropbox will only allow me to upload by file (ticking each file - impractical when hundreds of photos and songs are involved) not by folder. Box will allow upload by folder but will not search the SD card. Dump Truck neither searches the SD card nor allow folder upload.

Can anyone help?

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Well, I guess this is the problem with Dropbox haven't used it ! Anyway why don't you try using your hands over the Google Driver it offers you to directly upload the folder over yo he Google Drive and I must say it's faster as well as much better interface than dropbox.

3. pjtwyman

Devices:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have no experience with Google Drive but figure that the one of the 3 storage accounts should do the job (i.e. load by folder and search the SD card).

Dropbox came with the tablet and Dump Truck with the VPN. I have had Box for years on my Mac but not used it much.

I should mention that I have contacted the help lines for these accounts but no luck.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Well, @pjtwyman I would say its simple as it sounds I am sure if you just give it a try you will automatically draw the idea on how to ! Just give it a try, if you like to otherwise you have the other online storage working already ! :)

5. ernigeek

ernigeek Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Note 3 SM-N9005; Nexus 7 2012&2013 both 3g/4g; Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 4g
    I have tried to upload folders to Dropbox and it's very easy to upload a folder with a simple trick.
    Go into Samsungs(or any other e.g. es file explorer) file explorer and go into the folder you want to upload. Tick one file and then pick choose all. Just make sure u don't tick a folder. Then click on the share symbol and choose Dropbox. Now tap on add on right bottom to add a folder and simply name it like the folder on your device. Of course you can use copy&paste!:cool:

hope I could help.
    Don't hesitate to ask if something is not clear!

6. pjtwyman

Devices:
    I tried

7. pjtwyman

Devices:
    I tried using the method suggested. I had to set up a folder to receive the shared files from my tablet otherwise they would have just ended up sitting in my Dropbox account in a disorganised manner. The files eventually uploaded but the upload speed was incredibly slow. It took about an 45 minutes to shift 4 files totalling about one MB!

I tried the same thing with Box but only one of 4 files uploaded. The upload speeds are dreadfully slow.I dont know if this my device, the wifi connection or some other factor.

But even if the Dropbox upload was successful (if very slow) I only have 2.5gb capacity. My main accounts are Box and Dump Truck neither of which is uploading properly.

The aim is to have good upload speeds and to be able to upload a folder in a single operation - even if that folder has subfolders.

8. ernigeek

ernigeek Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Note 3 SM-N9005; Nexus 7 2012&2013 both 3g/4g; Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 4g
    did you think about using mega? It offers great speeds plus you can upload folders over the mega app!

9. pjtwyman

Devices:
    Yes I did consider Mega but a review in Zdnet suggests that there are performance problems - mainly connection speed and security (despite Mega's claims). I would prefer to solve these problems with my existing accounts rather than create new ones.

The problems may be due to factors other than the storage accounts.