OnePlus, current software update track record?

Posted Jun 30, 2017 by Morty-GB

1. Morty-GB

Morty-GB Member Scrap Metal

Dear all,

Sorry for asking a possibly n00b'ish question. :) I'm a long-time iOS user, who's switching over to Android.

I've been researching which Android phone to get, and I'm on the fence between the OnePlus 5 and the likely-to-be-released-later-this-year Google Pixel "2".

Two of the key points for me are security updates to Android, and also feature updates as new Android versions are released. There is a lot of commentary on OnePlus on the Interwebs in this regard, and I find it hard to sift through what's real and what's no longer so as OnePlus has grown.

How has OnePlus been performing regarding timely security updates to their flagship phones lately?

Which upcoming Android major releases do you expect to see released for OnePlus 5, based on the past performance? I assume that Android O is a given for the 5, but that the next 2018 Android release is most likely not coming to the 5?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Android O will probably be released on the OnePlus 5. However it may take a while for it to be released. As most android device manufacturers with the exception of Google's own devices.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. Morty-GB

Morty-GB Member Scrap Metal

Thank you! :)