OnePlus 2: ask the AA team anything!

Posted Aug 8, 2015 by Jimmy Westenberg

1. Jimmy Westenberg

Jimmy Westenberg Team AA Staff Member Team AA Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Motorola Moto 360, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)
    [​IMG]

OnePlus unveiled its new flagship smartphone just a few weeks ago, and so far, it's proven to be quite the device. The OnePlus 2 features some of the best specifications and build quality on the market, starting at the low price of just $329. Even though there's been tons of content on the OnePlus 2 so far, we're sure you have some questions.

Will this phone fulfill your needs? Is there a catch? Featuring a super quick fingerprint scanner, a handy alert slider on the left side, and a new USB Type-C port, it seems as though the OnePlus 2 is working hard to adopt as many new technologies as it can. With that said, quite a few features are missing from the device, which has become a major point of contention among fans of the handset.

So are you curious about the OnePlus 2? Our own Joshua Vergara has just unboxed the device and is in the process of constructing a full review, but in the mean time, he's willing to answer your questions! If you have a specific question and would like it answered by Josh or any other member of the AA team, leave a comment below and we'll do our best to answer it in a timely fashion!

2. Irad Aharoni

Irad Aharoni Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    iPhone 4 :(
    Is the feeling of the phone is different from the Oneplus One?

3. scotti

scotti Member Scrap Metal

when you post videos/photos on Instagram does the quality stay the same or diminish horribly like other android phones? What about snapchat video/photo quality?

4. jdot104

jdot104 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    How is the camera speed with taking still pics?

5. EngineerGunter

EngineerGunter Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Samsung Gear Live
    Have you or will you root and try to use xposed with Oxygen OS? I was able to use some modules in the xposed framework that didn't badly misbehave with CM 12 and I can only imagine you can do likewise with the vanilla-esque Oxygen OS.

6. Irad Aharoni

Irad Aharoni Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    iPhone 4 :(
    Are there a RAW image support like in the opo?

7. p1xo

p1xo Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    SGSIII, OPO
    How long does it take to charge it from 0 to 100%? 20 to 90%?

How long does the battery last compared to OnePlus One?

What is the temperature of OP2 after 1 hour of gaming? compared to OnePlus One (which heats quite enough)?

Thank you very much for your answers ;)

8. EngineerGunter

EngineerGunter Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Samsung Gear Live
    What material(s) is(are) the swap covers made of? For example, is the bamboo one actually made of bamboo or is it just textured/colored plastic? I know they did mention that the Kevlar one is actually Dupont's very own Kevlar, which would mean it is indeed aramid.
    Thanks!

9. Howard Vu

Howard Vu Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 6, Toshiba Chromebook 2
    Does the phone get hot doing something as simple as browsing the web or watching youtube? Does the camera launch quickly?

10. Joshua Vergara

Joshua Vergara Team AA Staff Member Team AA

The camera does load pretty quickly, even when using the circle gesture on a locked screen. I've been playing a bit of UFC and a couple PSX emulated games on here and though the top half of the phone does get pretty warm, it doesn't get hot to the point of discomfort.

11. Joshua Vergara

For the most part, the backings are made of plastic. They're really thin and the outward part of the covers have the material applied on it. As for it actually being bamboo or wood in those particular cases, if there is actually that material on the backing it's incredibly minimal. I tend to think it's just highly textured plastic.

12. Joshua Vergara

Like I said in an earlier reply, the phone does get pretty warm when under gaming load, but not to the point of discomfort. I haven't had the phone long enough to comment on battery life, but charging the phone from 0 to 100 took about two hours with the phone on but not used very much.

13. Joshua Vergara

Don't see that option anywhere. Could be added in a future update but so far no RAW

14. Joshua Vergara

I may try to install a different ROM later on, but until I get the review done it's Oxygen all day.

15. Joshua Vergara

Pretty standard thus far - definitely not all that slow from shutter button to file creation. Focusing is pretty fast with the laser auto focus, but with spot metering, I spend a little extra time pressing different portions of the scene to get the right exposure. It's a pet peeve of mine, actually.

It feels much more substantial due to the metal chassis. But generally, the feel is exactly like the first One, especially considering the Sandstone material.

16. Agunimon94

Agunimon94 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Xperia Z1 compact
    I'm from Panama and I'm waiting for my invite to get the OnePlus2. I want to know how important is the factory support. I mean, there's no official store in here or anybody from their company. What if the screen cracks? Or what if my charging cable doesn't work just in the moment I take it out of the box? Should I think about this when I buy a new phone?

17. Howard Vu

Devices:
    That's pretty good to know. I'm just worried the phone will post a warning or shut down, that's all.

18. Howard Vu

Devices:
    Unfortunately, that's a gamble when you're dealing with an OEM that doesn't have much in terms of support and customer service. Going on the OnePlus forums, you read about the nightmares others have about the original Oneplus when getting replacements or repairs. You just gotta cross your fingers and *hope* there's no dead pixel or problems with the phone itself. The others accessories such as charging cable, I'm not worried about because you can get them off Amazon.

19. Agunimon94

Agunimon94 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Xperia Z1 compact
    So what would you say? Should I wait for the invite and get the oneplus or wait for the moto x Style? I like them both but I really like all the personalization from cyanogen

20. Howard Vu

Devices:
    I'm in the same boat as you since the invite is only good for 24hrs, except I'm waiting for the next Nexus. I love the customization features of the the OnePlus 2. You mentioned Cyanogen. The OP2 DOES NOT have Cyanogen. It has Oxygen OS which also allows for customization. If you get the MotoX Style, you could always root.