1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Non Removable Battery and No SD card, Deal Breaker or Not?

Discussion in 'Android News & Discussion' started by Randie, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Randie

Randie Member

Devices:
    Moto G
    I was just wondering if some of you guys also consider those 2 factors when buying a smartphone.
    There are some phones that I really want, but for me having no sd card slot and fix battery is big deal for me.

2. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    Yup, it's a pretty big deal for me, as I like having a transferable MicroSD card for music/video. A removable battery is quite important too, as batteries tend to degrade with time and I like to keep my handsets for a while.

Jayfeather787 and Darcy LaCouvee like this.
  3. dejkirkby

dejkirkby Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 7 Nexus 5 Moto G Lumia 635
    It used to be a deal breaker in regards to the micro SD slot, but with the cloud storage options available that isn't an issue. I've never had issues with battery degradation as I generally get a new phone pretty regularly.

Derek Scott likes this.
  4. sycotik

sycotik Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S
    I can understand the battery to an extent. I dont like it, but I understand it. What I do not understand is why phones would NOT come with and SD slot. I do not know if it would be a deal breaker or not, as I have only had the S4 as my first and only smartphone. As the poster said above me, cloud services can take away some of that grief. As long as you are in an area that has wifi.

5. Randie

Randie Member

Devices:
    Moto G
    I had an experience before, my phone's internal memory was damaged and I had to go to the service center to had it fix. The amount for the repair was almost half of the current market value of the phone.

6. Derek Scott

Derek Scott Webmaster Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    I definitely consider the factors but it's not a deal breaker. I have the Nexus 5 and I don't miss the sd card and ability to swap batteries. They are nice options but not the main factors when I look for a phone.

For me, the look and feel are way more important.

StLouisMan2 and Praveer Chhabra like this.
  7. Jonathan Feist

Jonathan Feist Team AA Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 7, Moto G
    For me as well, these are important factors and items that I want on my gear, but not deal breakers. It is always hardest the first time you move to a device without them. Transferring all your stuff to the cloud and investing in an external battery pack feels like a lot of extra stuff to do for a new phone, but once you are set up, there is 0 transfer/set up time to the next phone, and the one after that.

I used to love having extra batteries for my phones, but the reality is that they only work for those specific phones. In contrast, my Anker battery pack works on all my USB powered gear, not just the phones.

8. Martin Zlocha

Martin Zlocha Member

Devices:
    Nexus 10
    For me I don't really care, on my tablet I have only used 5gb of space but that's because I keep my tablet clean and I usually watch everything online, clear cache regularly etc... And you can always get your battery changed after 2 years at a local IT store or DIY...

9. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I had about 10 or so phones now and battery degradation was never an issue for me. Phone "degradation" was. Having an extra battery to replace is fun but not something i would do. I rather buy a external battery pack charger.
    When it comes to storage. I'm good with 16GB that's more or less the standard so that's not an issue as well. At the moment i have 8 GB (4 GB user available) and about half of that is free now. So not a deal breaker at all. Not even on my radar when buying a phone.

Darcy LaCouvee likes this.
  10. VDiRow

VDiRow Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Tab, Bliss Tab, Moto E, Karbonne A6
    The way you feel is more important. Even the condition is so solid. I want back-up after so. It's matter.

11. Mezzum

Mezzum Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Phone still looking, Nexus 7 2012
    I would accept the restrictions for a Nexus device. As stated above, Google Drive, Play Music an other cloud services work fine. While batteries sometime don't last as long as we like, they can take a lot more recharge cycles then they used to. Also, portable chargers now come in very small form factor and easy to use.

12. shashank

shashank Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    LG L5 with CM11
    Well, it seems very good at first if it is a nice phone and has large storage. But in the long run it is a drag to go to their service centre and give your phone to fix it and wait for it, instead you could have just bought the battery and replaced it.
    Damage to the internal memory is a very scary thing, I have lost data on external SD and I could not recover it. If you are keeping the whole data in one chip then you are at risk.

13. Ryu Haneda

Ryu Haneda Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    HTC One Max, Droid 4
    If the battery can be removed by me at all, not a breaker. If the built-in memory is large enough (and I can easily access it), not having an SD card is still a 50/50 issue.

14. Karthik SR

Karthik SR Member

According to my assumption
    Having an external battery and SD card need separate protection & additional plates for connection and these plates may suck up some charge while connecting...
    whereas with internal memory and fixed battery u wont needing such external protection and this might increase the battery life of smartphone .
    In SD cards there are various classes that determine the data copy/paste rate but with internal memory there is none .
    main disadvantages in these are that
    Internal Memory :
    You must have a better or great internal memory
    Fixed Battery :
    you cant switch off your smartphone completely so if someones tracking your device means its a problem...
    cant switch batteries & have to look for service centers ...
    AM I correct ???

15. Ryu Haneda

Ryu Haneda Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    HTC One Max, Droid 4
    I do believe internal (non-serviceable) batteries will be harder to live with (especially when they begin to get tired). I also believe that external batteries and SD cards will result in extra packaging inside the machine, possibly resulting in another issue (reduced battery life because of weight or material interference?).

Nevertheless, even if I couldn't buy a phone without an "internal" battery, I would absolutely want to try for external storage. (Unless new phones come out with 128 SDD drives. :))

16. Randie

Randie Member

Devices:
    Moto G
    Yes, service centers can fixed if you have a damaged on the internal memory. But we all know how much they charged for that. If you have a 2 year old phone, definitely it has a lower market value. Then they will charged you big money for the repair. Same thing with fixed battery.

17. Randie

Randie Member

Devices:
    Moto G
    Two flagship phones, same specs and price. Would you for the one with fixed battery and memory? Me, definitely Not.. I'm just being practical. But if you are a person who changes phone every 6mos, I think it would not be a deal braker.
    Being able to just insert your memory card to new phone with all your stuffs is very convenient.
    Cloud storage, some of us are using data plan and do not have access to Internet all the time. I'm just using cloud storage for important files and documents, but not for media consumption or obb files.

18. Akkii

Akkii Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Sony xperia P,Micromax Unite 2,gionee P2
    I have Xperia p, it out of warranty but i never find any problem with battery or SD card..
    I agree that having an option to do so is a good. Some say that by removing the battery we are actually reducing the life span of the device due to dust entering the battery chamber and damage the phone and changing batteries reduce its lifespan..

Some people find a issue with battery life but for me working fine...

Speaking of Micro SD cards, they are slower than on–board memory, and the removable battery makes the phone much more prone to shortcircuit (May water leak in the back cover). or they have to downgrade their built in quality, because of the external SD card and removable battery they have to use plastic back cover etc.

For my suggestion if ur the gamer then Non-Removable SD phones is not for u,because u can't install many Hd games in ur phone u have to switch from 1 to another..
    Sorry for bad English..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Ed Briggs likes this.
  19. ute4aa

ute4aa Member Scrap Metal

I would never buy a phone with fix battery or no SD card slot.

20. Ed Briggs

Ed Briggs Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Ubuntu laptop
    No SD card and no removable battery is no big deal to me. I keep all of my music in the cloud on Google Music and stream it. I'm usually around wifi anyway. And if I'm not, I live without. Not the end of the world. Btw, there is no such thing as a non-removable battery. Just batteries that are easily removable, or those that require a little more work to get them out. But you can open any phone and change batteries.

With being able to keep all of my stuff in the cloud, I see no point in keeping tons of stuff on my phone. Heck, I have 8gb storage on my Nexus 4, and don't worry about it. You can set your phone to automatically upload any new files to the net and retrieve them any time you want. Never understood this massive local storage thing.