1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Nexus 5 odd brightness problem

Discussion in 'Nexus Smartphones' started by Naor Levy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Hi i own a nexus 5. Suddenly 3 days ago the screen brightness just got darker. I tried to put it to full brightness but still it won't be as bright as it used to. Its difficult to work with this dimmer screen. Ive compared it to other nexus 5 and i saw i was right. The screen light is darker than its supposed to.
    Ive searched the whole web still haven't found a solution.

I cant replace the device by google cause i live outside of the us.

Does anyone knows what can it be?
    My phone is the left. I hope u can see the difference in brightness.

Attached Files:

2. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Acer Iconia A1-810
    Firstly, and I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but have you checked to see if the "Auto" button in the "Brightness" setting hasn't been turned on?
    If that's OK, try a hard reset (press and hold the power button until the phone reboots). If that doesn't help, you could try booting the phone in safe mode to see if a 3rd party app is causing the issue. If all else fails, a full factory reset could also fix the issue.
    If all of the above dont help, and it is a hardware issue, and the handset is in warranty, you can send the unit to the closest LG service centre for warranty repair.
  3. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Hi sure ive checked the auto. It's not on auto. Its in full brightness.
    I will try the safe mode.

I live outside of the us so i can't send to a lg center.

My question is, if the problem might the hardware than what could be the problem? As far as I know if the lcd screen was faulted than it wouldn't been working at all...

Thanks for you answer
  4. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Just tried safe mode it deleted all l my widgets and app preferences. But still didn't fix the screen.

Its absolutely odd!
  5. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:
    If it is a hardware issue, the 2 things I can think of are:
    1/. The backlight panel has developed a fault causing low light output
    2/. The LCD driver circuit is faulty causing the display to dim when it should be at full brightness

Either of these issues will require a trip to a service centre. If you don't have access to a warranty service centre, having the unit repaired at your own cost would probably be more than half of what you paid new for the handset.
  6. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:
    2/. The LCD driver circuit is faulty causing the display to dim when it should be at full brightness

Either of these issues will require a trip to a service centre. If you don't have access to a warranty service centre, having the unit repaired at your own cost would probably be more than half of what you paid new for the handset.
  7. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:

As the LCD driver circuit controls the state and opacity of each individual screen pixel, I don't think that would be the main suspect. As the problem seems to be uniform across the display, it makes me think it more likely that the backlight is the culprit.

8. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:

As the LCD driver circuit controls the state and opacity of each individual screen pixel, I don't think that would be the main suspect. As the problem seems to be uniform across the display, it makes me think it more likely that the backlight is the culprit.

9. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5

thank you so much.
    i'm so disappointed because of the costs of changing the lcd screen. it is more than half of what i've paid for!

could it be by any chance that the battery cases volage irregularities and than replacing the battery will help?
    i've checked and the battery seems fine . not swallen at all.

and if i will change the screen should i try to do this on my own? ive seen videos and it seems to be pretty easy.
    should i take the risk? or there is a big chance of killing the device?
    thank you for your time and answers
  10. MickG

MickG New Member

Devices:
    I strongly doubt the battery would be the cause. Changing the screen yourself is an option but it is risky. The businesses that do it for a living normally get the screens cheaper than consumers can and don't normally charge that much to do the replacement. Considering that they also provide a warranty, I personally wouldn't risk trying to do it myself. Also, if you take your handset into a repair centre, they can diagnose exactly what the problem is and replace the correct component. Where the end user may replace the screen only to find its the motherboard that's faulty therefor wasting money.
  11. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Thank you. I think you're right.
  12. Naor Levy

Naor Levy New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    UPDATE:
    weirdest thing ever!
    after two weeks of darkness and dim screen
    suddenly the screen got better on its own!
    started on 1 minute of full normal light
    the day after it became 40 minutes of light
    on the third day until now it's normal brightness! for 24 hours now.

weird weird weird!
    (i must say that the phone didnt got hit at all.
    it just got better with no reason! )