1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Need help deciding on an upgrade. (USA)

Discussion in 'Other Smartphone Discussion' started by aferrick, Aug 1, 2014.

1. aferrick

aferrick Member

Devices:
    Razr Maxx
    Hey guys. My 2 year contract with Verizon just expired and I'm in the market for a new device. "Luckily" for me there are so many options to consider. I currently have the Droid Razr Maxx (non-HD) which I like, but it's gotten slow and lags a bit. The battery life is great though; it can go 2-2.5 days without a charge with moderate usage.

Screen size isn't really an issue, but I think my size limit is the G3. I've read and seen that the G3's overall size is approximately the same as the M8 and S5 due to its minimal bezels.
    I'd like a long battery life so I won't run out of juice if I happen to be without a charger. Even battery saving options would be fine (brightness adjustment, etc.)
    I plan on playing games on the phone, too.

Finally, I know that it's wrong to keep waiting on upgrading because there'll always be better technology in the pipeline, but are there any worthwhile smartphones coming to USA Verizon in the near future that may impact my upgrade decision?

2. sycotik

sycotik Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S
    It looks like you are looking at the higher end of the phone market. Two that come to mind that you did not mention are the Sony Experia Z3 (maybe september) and the new Nexus (not sure). Just some food for thought.

3. aferrick

aferrick Member

Devices:
    Razr Maxx
    The Xperia (Z2/Z3) do look very nice. I wish the Z2 was available through a Verizon contract. The new Nexus is rumored to be a 6in screen, which I think is waaay too big for a regular phone.

4. sycotik

sycotik Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S
    I agree with your assessment on the Nexus. I would love to get one but I dont like anything that big either. My S4 is about perfect for size (for me). Thank goodness I found a ROM that is updated to 4.4.4 and the dev stated he would at least keep the updates going through until Android L drops. So as long as I dont break it, I will probably keep it for the time being. Hell, if I do break it, might just get another.

JMitch likes this.
  5. JMitch

JMitch Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Tab3 8
    Hi, great to be a new member.
    Have you looked at Doogee Smartphones?

JMitch (Male, not Female, thankfully)