1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Navigate Without Data?

Discussion in 'Android News & Discussion' started by Jaxseven, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jaxseven

Jaxseven Member

Devices:
    Droid Razr MAXX HD, Nexus 7 (2013), OG Droid, Droid 2, Droid Incredible 2, Nexus 7 (2012), Transformer Prime
    So the time has come for me to finally buy a car and I need a GPS to help me navigate because I'm directionally challenge. My first thought was use my phone since it has Google Maps and a GPS in it, but then I remembered I go to school in a small mining town in the middle of nowhere (basically Silent Hill) and my phone gets barely any cell reception and no data whatsoever. Should I just suck it up and pay the $80 for a Garmin or is there something I can I find a way to save the entire east coast for offline view in Google Maps?

2. dejkirkby

dejkirkby Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 7 Nexus 5 Moto G Lumia 635
  3. Jaxseven

Jaxseven Member

Devices:
    Droid Razr MAXX HD, Nexus 7 (2013), OG Droid, Droid 2, Droid Incredible 2, Nexus 7 (2012), Transformer Prime
    Thanks but the problem I've been having is that when I try to save the map section I need, pretty much most of Maryland and Virginia since I need to be able to travel between the two for holidays, my phone refuses to let me download it because it's too big a selection. I can only get my college town offline, which does help quite a bit, but I need to basically take my three and half hour drive from Maryland to Virginia offline.

4. dejkirkby

Devices:
    I see. Then I would suggest looking at a no data sat nav app. The two major ones are CoPilot and Navfree, but I think there are more.

5. Jaxseven

Jaxseven Member

Devices:
    That's what I was thinking. The first one I found was BackCountry something, which drew a straight line from one place to the other, for the whole trip. I'll look into these apps, thanks!

6. dejkirkby

Devices:
    After a bit of digging, I have found the best rated ones are NavMii and MapFactor. With MapFactor, you download the maps to your phone before you travel.
    Hope this helps and have a good time driving.

Jaxseven likes this.
  7. Jaxseven

Jaxseven Member

Devices:
    I was just about to try out CoPilot because the first NavMii app I found didn't have a US map, but after another Google search I found the right one. I'm going to try out NavMii first just because the pictures look better than MapFactor. Really petite, I know but I'm a stickler for design. Thanks for all your help!

8. dejkirkby

Devices:
    Glad to help.

9. xVxM4tthewxVx

xVxM4tthewxVx Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    ZTE Valet
    This was helpful! I'm so glad I found this thread! :)