Just bought S8+ after 8 years of iOS...need help switching please!

Posted Jun 25, 2017 by Chris Hesketh

1. Chris Hesketh

Chris Hesketh Member Scrap Metal

Hi guys,

Really in need of some advice. I have been deep rooted into the Apple ecosystem now for a long time but after seeing the latest 'amazing' iOS 11 release details and the lack of...anything really that impresses me, I can't keep kidding myself that I am underwhelmed every year at the lack of innovation.

So... I've made the massive jump and bought a Galaxy S8+ from an iPhone 7. BUT I really need some help in getting everything synced and working like it should on the S8+ as I am massively into using the iCloud services (drive, calendars, notifications, reminders, bookmarks) all of it. I also have a large music library bought through iTunes and iCloud photos for all my videos and photos.

So really over the next week or so I need to set up my S8+ and transfer everything. If I start with the photos and videos, I've been told the Google photos app is the way forward? Download on my iPhone and let them transfer across to the Google photos app right? What about contacts etc?

Thanks! Feeling a bit nervous about it all as iOS is all I know and at least it worked!

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
  3. ernanie

ernanie Member Scrap Metal

i got a new S8 plus and i want to change my color background and i found that my phone dont have color pallete......im here in uae

4. machinerisms

machinerisms Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung Galaxy S5
    Hi!
    There are definitely problems with switching from iOS to Android software. The first thing I would suggest is migrating to Google Calendar, Google Drive, etc. If you haven't already. If you haven't already wiped your iPhone, link that calendar to your Google Calendar so that it will transfer to your new Samsung.
    As for other files and music, if you use Mac (I assume you do and I do as well) I use Handshaker instead of Android File Transfer. It is technically a third party application, but it is clean and works well. You can find it on the App Store on your Mac. If you use PC I know there are other file software built for you.
    I am not entirely sure what to do about contacts, but I know some of them will become jumbled in the switch. I am fairly sure that you can go to your carrier's store and have them transfer contacts for you.
    I also think this is needless to say, but you will lose all of your text messages due to the change from software.
    Hope this helps!
    -machinerisms

5. Harold_F

Harold_F Member Scrap Metal

Hi, I'm in the same boat as the OP except trying to transfer my stuff from an iphone 6 to an LG stylus 3. Tranferring my contact list went just fine but when I tried to transfer my notes, that's where I ran into some issues.

I've been working off of a how to article on the mobiletrans website that comes up when I search "transfer iphone notes to android"

I'm not super tech savvy but I can follow directions as long as they're not impossible.

I tried using methods #3 and #4- tranferring via icloud and gmail.

The first hurdle that I ran into is that there is no "email" button within icloud/notes, nor is there a way to mass select notes like in the article screenshot. Perhaps the "email" button has been replaced by the "share" button but still only one note can be shared at a time.

Failing the icloud method, I tried using the gmail method. I followed the instructions to the end at which point all there was left to do was wait until my notes synced up with my google account. So I waited... And waited... Nothing happened. I noticed while using my notes on the iphone that there's a section for icloud, a section for notes kept on that phone, and a recently added section titled "gmail" which appeared after instructing my settings to sync notes with gmail.

Well the gmail section of my notes had precisely 0 notes in it. Maybe that was the problem. If I could only move my notes into the gmail folder (just as I can freely move locally stored notes into the icloud folder and vice versa) then perhaps they would sync to gmail. The only trouble is, moving existing notes into the gmail folder isn't an option. I can create new notes there, but the old ones simply don't have the gmail folder listed as a possible destination for a "move to" command.

The article isn't that old and the fact that these methods don't work seems kind of fishy. Is apple deliberately trying to make life more difficult for transferees?

6. Carmie

Carmie Member Scrap Metal

Well that was my problem too. I searched the net and found out about ApowerTrans. It works perfectly in transferring my files from one phone to another.

7. rcmastah

rcmastah Member Scrap Metal

When you're that invested in iCloud it's pretty hard to get everything synced. Normally I would suggest transitioning to Google apps while you're still using iOS so that you can sync everything easily. I think that Samsung Smart Switch should help with syncing everything on your iPhone with your S8. However, from now on, I would recommend using Google's services instead of Apple's or even Samsung's. This is because you can use them on literally any device, so it's easy to sync all your stuff when you buy a new device.

8. Kfurt

Kfurt Member Scrap Metal

I started fresh when going from Iphone to S8+... the only thing I did was sync my photos from my old iphone 6 with google photos. Manually added contacts. etc... I didn't bother with going through transferring everything.

9. Sam Guevarra

Sam Guevarra Member Scrap Metal

Hello! I used an app when i transferred my content from iPhone to Samsung. It is ApowerTrans app. You can try it too.