1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Is it just me or is the hype significantly winding down?

Discussion in 'OnePlus Smartphones' started by Luka, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I can't even be bothered to check the OnePlus forum. At first i was psyched about everything OnePlus and then i was pissed at how poorly Pete Lau run the company, but still happy about the fact that they made and awesome phone. It's like how i said about Apple, it's not the problem that people hate it, the problem would be if no one gave a damn.
    So i guess the question is, do you guys still give a damn? And how much did the whole thing wind down for you (don't matter if you liked it or not)?

2. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    It's still a great handset, but I agree with you, the phone simply isn't on my radar anymore. I think the blame lies with the invite system.
    The invite idea seems to have kept the phone solely in the hands of people who were already hyped about it, halting any word-of-mouth praise from reaching the wider world of Android. We're spoilt for choice when it comes to Android handsets, and you won't stay in the focal point for long if consumers can't enjoy your product.

All that being said, it wasn't ever really going to be a massive mainstream success, as the brand is so new. But they really needed to build a positive first experience for consumers, to act as a platform for their next device. I don't think they've managed to do that.

3. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    I still think it looks like a great phone, and I still want it, however, the invite system is extremely stupid.

Kurt Reno and Luka like this.
  4. nuno sousa

nuno sousa Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    zopo c2
    I think the invite system just killed all the hype because everybody that wanted a opo and cant get an invite will look to other devices that are as good or better and dont mind paying more 50 or 70 dollars and buy the dam thing and its done . but thats just me .

Luka and Jayfeather787 like this.
  5. nuno sousa

Devices:
    zopo c2
    Soon all brands will have mid range devices that do what opo does and the price wont be that much different. Htc e8 is out mi4 its not mid range but good price . plus i've seen people selling invites so the business model its not at all perfect

6. nuno sousa

Devices:
    zopo c2
    The invite system would work if the life cycle of phone industry was the cars with new models every four years but currently its 6 months before a brand lauches a new flagship . but that just me

7. dizzle

dizzle Member

Devices:
    OnePlus one
    The hype isn't dying down. Visit any android forum and you'll still see people looking for invites. Other companies won't be able to compete with the specs OnePlus offers because OnePlus sells at cost, LG,HTC or Samsung won't do that. Find me a phone with a 13 megapixel camera, 3100 mah battery, 3 GB of RAM, 2.5. GHz quad core processor, 400ppi and 1080 resolution for $350 or less. Nothing competes. If people want to pay $300 more OR sign a 2 year contract for a phone with lesser specs, be my guest.

drdebian and Cukedaddy like this.
  8. xavouine

xavouine Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    oneplus one, nexus 4, Asus Transformer TF300
    Sure the hype is not what it was 'round may/june/july but whenever they let go of the invite system, it's going to pick right back up. (that is assuming they keep the same unbeatable price). However, hype or not, it is still the uncontested best tere is when it comes to specs/price

9. Waterdroid

Waterdroid Member Battle Droid

Completely agree. Hype is more or less gone and the phone is fine, with a lack of decent Customer Service.

10. mihai dumitrescu

mihai dumitrescu Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    nexus 5, samsung tab p3110
    Honestly, I don't think you guys tried hard enough to get an invite, and I don't mean buying one on ebay or amazon. I got my invite at the end of august, after taking part in most of their invite events, but since they didn't deliver to my country, I decided to give it away, and like me there are hundreds on the forums giving away invites to anyone willing to take part in user-organized-events. I was dissapointed at first, but then I did some research to find a way to get the phone delivered to me, and 3 days later, while I was on the forum, I found someone from the community kind enough to share an invite with me, for FREE ! There are daily hundreds of invites given away by simple users, but if you think the phone will simply land on your lap just because you want it to, then keep on dreaming. The invite system is addressed to those users who are commited to the OPO project and are willing to fight for an invite, lets call them groupies, while the casual users will probably get the chance to buy the phone later, when it comes out for the masses, if they still want it of course.

11. fxguru77

fxguru77 Member

Devices:
    nexus HTC samsung
    That's what makes this phone special end exclusive everyone wanders what this phone is I think only nerds end tech fanatics know about this phone

12. netartifacts

netartifacts Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab (2) 7.0 Samsung tv 40"
    I gave an invite away. I could not believe after I offered the invite how many people responded. The reason I gave my invite away is because I got so bored of the invite system that when I got one I didn't want the phone anymore...

13. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Oh yea, i know that feel.

14. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    Yeah the hype is still pretty big, but everyone has calmed down a bit.

15. PowerLemons

PowerLemons Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    OnePlus One A0001, Asus MeMo Pad ME301T
    The hype died down, but it's now easier to get an invite compared to a few months ago.

16. RandallX

RandallX Member Scrap Metal Drone Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Media Player 5
    OK, this is exactly the kind of BS that has annoyed the hell out of me. I want a phone, that phone. It's a great phone. But I am NOT going to jump through hoops and play a fool for the marketing morons at OPO. Seriously! The fact that you think this is acceptable is just ridiculous. So then you say, "Well then, you don't get a phone!" And I say,"Ya, yer right. I won't. Not if I have to play that stupid game."

I want one of their phones. But if this is gonna continue, then I hope they just fade away and some other company that is smarter realizes that they can build a phone just as good for a reasonable price and sell it properly.

OK, /rant off.
    R

17. joshua luther2

joshua luther2 Member Scrap Metal

Watch for an announcement in the next 24 hours.

18. RandallX

Devices:
    Wow.. isn't that mysterious!

19. Derek Scott

Derek Scott Webmaster Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    Based on the entries in our OnePlus One giveaways, I would say the interest is still there. After all, it's a great phone for a great price. I love the confused expression on people's faces when they see my phone and ask me where they can buy one.
    Typical conversation:

"Wow nice phone, who makes it, Samsung?..."
    "One Plus."
    "One Plus what? Huh?"
    "They are a new company, based in China, they offer great spec phones for a lot less than the big manufacturers"
    "Cool how much is it? $349 for this version."
    "Wow, awesome, where can I buy it?"
    "You can't buy one, you need to get an invitation." (Insert shocked face here o_O )
    "Where do I get an invitation?"
    "From somebody."
    "Do you have one?"
    "Nope, they expired."
    "............(blank stare) :confused:"

End of conversation.

Luka and Sigfred Tong like this.
  20. RandallX

Devices:
    - = Blank Stare = -