1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

How do I improve battery life

Discussion in 'Other Tablet Discussion' started by Geetha, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Geetha

Geetha New Member

Devices:
    Samsung galaxy S3 phone, samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1
    Hi, I recently bought a samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1, my first tablet. Needless to say I am quite ignorant about most tech details. But I loved my samsung galaxy S3 phone for giving me everything on my palm as I was out and about the whole day. Find that the battery on my tablet drains by the minute. I tried switching off GPS, uninstalled of force stopped most apps, unsynched most other programs and yet it did not make a difference. I do not have too many apps installed nor do I play games. Read mostly text based stuff. Yet to watch a video. Would like to know what I can do to make the battery life more efficient - need it to last my day. What is the point of switching off everything?
  2. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Moderator Staff Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    Sadly, very few, if any, devices will last a full day of constant use on a single charge.
    The best way to save battery, especially on larger high-res display devices, is to firstly turn down the display brightness (avoid using the automatic setting as the sensor also drains battery).

Other than that, leaving bluetooth, GPS, NFC, and WiFi off when you are not using them is also a good way to keep your battery life up.
    Edwin Fare-Bredin likes this.
  3. Geetha

Geetha New Member

Devices:
    Hello Rob, thanks for the reply. This is just day 4 of owning the tablet and I have not taken it out for the day. The 2nd day I was reading some text online and found that the battery percentage was going down about 10% in 10 to 15 minutes. That was when I tried all the battery saving measures, but it did not make a difference. Then I tried reading the text offline and even then the draining seemed to slow just a bit. I read elsewhere that after moderate use of playing games, or watching a movie for 3 hours one could expect the battery to go down by 25% so I am concerned that my particular unit might be faulty.
    I will try all that you suggested and see what happens over the next few days. Appreciate your advice
  4. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Yes, that sounds much too fast to me as well, especially for simple text pages. I'd see about sending it for repairs/replacement.
  5. Geetha

Geetha New Member

Devices:
    Thanks. If I use wifi to view lessons online - mainly text or flashcards, read my mail and reply and surf the net for information, again mainly text, what should the rate of battery usage be? Would like to know before I get in touch with someone on Samsung.
  6. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    If you take a look at Samsung's website for the tablet, under specs it says:
    • Standard Battery 8,220mAh
    • Internet Usage Time (Wi-Fi): Up to 10 h
    • Video Playback Time: Up to 10 h
    • Audio Playback Time: Up to 147h
    10% drain for 15 minutes on the internet is very poor, and is well below what Samsung itself recommends as achievable. Just tell them your experience, and that it falls well short of their advertised usage times, that should be enough to get them to take a look at it.
  7. Geetha

Geetha New Member

Devices:
    Thank you. Will do as adviced.