Honor 8 frequent crash/reboot issues

Posted Aug 7, 2017 by Branden Coker

1. Branden Coker

Branden Coker Member Scrap Metal

I recently purchased a used Honor 8, and love it almost all of the time. Biggest problem I've had is a frequent crash/restart issue. Seems to happen most frequently when using the stock (Huawei) camera app, but I've had it happen when answering and making phone calls, using multiple apps, etc. It even went into a boot loop once while just sitting idle on a table.

It's most repeatable by simply taking a few photos with the camera and then, boom the screen goes black and either reboots by itself or has to be restarted. The fact that it has happened elsewhere leaves me wondering if it's not solely tied to the camera. Perhaps there is a hardware issue, but I can't find anyone else experiencing similar issues with this phone.

I've tried booting into safe mode and it's happened there as well. The only thing I could think to try was a factory reset. Done that a couple of times now with no improvement.

Can anyone think of any other way I can troubleshoot this?

Honor 8 FRD-L04
    EMUI 5.0
    Android 7.0

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    That is strange. I've never heard of that issue before. Have you tried performing a hard factory reset but wipe the cache partition in Recovery Mode?

3. Branden Coker

Thanks for the response, Jake. I have done a factory reset, but I'm not sure what you mean by "hard factory reset" or wiping the cache. I simply went to Settings>Advanced>Backup and Reset>Factory Data Reset. If there is some extra step in wiping the cache, is it possible that will help?

4. Branden Coker

Okay, little bit of the googs, and I've got a rudimentary understanding of the cache partition now. I just wiped it. We'll see if that helps at all. Wouldn't this be wiped at the same time a factory reset is performed, or are you saying that I should have performed the reset followed directly by the cache wipe?

5. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    No, you have to wipe the cache partition then perform the hard factory reset. A hard factory reset is actually allot more through than a standard reset via the settings menu.

6. Branden Coker

Okay, I believe I previously tried to use the reset from Recovery mode (as you describe), but for some reason it didn't complete. If I remember correctly it was trying to download something and threw an error. That's when I resorted to the Settings> reset. I guess I'll give it another go after wiping the cache. I'd love to salvage this thing because I really love the hardware. Thanks again for the suggestions.

7. Jake Lam

Devices:
    That is perfectly normal. After the error you should boot directly into Recovery Mode where you can perform a hard factory reset.

8. Branden Coker

Okay. Tried another cache wipe then factory reset, both from the recovery mode. Been using it since this morning and I've already caused about five crashes/shutdowns just by using the camera. Didn't appear to help.

9. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Have you tried using a different camera app?

10. Branden Coker

Yes. When I want to be sure that I'll actually get the shot, I've been using Open Camera. When I'm feeling lucky, I'll try the built-in app. The problem I have with third-party camera apps is that they don't utilize the full potential of the dual lens camera. I also really like the Honor camera UI so much better than the others I've tried.

11. Jake Lam

Devices:
    If a hard factory reset didn't help solve your issue. Then you need to contact Honor directly as they should be able to help solve your issue. You would probably have to send your device to them directly for repairs.

12. Branden Coker

That's what I was afraid of. Since I bought it used I don't have any warranty coverage, and I'd have to pay for repairs out of pocket. For now, it's not really worth my time and money. I just picked up a new one on Amazon for $260. I'll sell the current phone as-is and try to recoup some of the lost money. Thanks for your help Jake.

13. Branden Coker

I got a new Honor 8 a couple days ago, and the setup process was a bit different for this one. Even though the production date is a couple months newer than my first phone, this one started up with EMUI 4 and Android 6. After initial setup I was prompted to update to EMUI 5 and Android 7.

That's all done and everything is working as it should with this handset. The lingering question I have is, why is it that when I do a factory reset on my first phone does it reset to EMUI 5 and not EMUI 4? Is there some way to do a full reset back to the earlier version of the OS?

I'm just wondering if there isn't still some way to salvage this phone.

14. Jake Lam

Devices:
    When you perform a hard factory reset on your device, which has the latest OS update installed on it. It will automatically restore it to the point where it would have left the factory if it had that version of the OS installed on it. Seeing as you have purchased a brand new device, which came preinstalled with the older version of the OS. That is why when you first boot up your new device, you will see the old OS during the boot up process.