Honor 7 location vs WiFi

Posted Apr 17, 2017 by Tenekhaas

Tags:
  1. Tenekhaas

Tenekhaas Member Scrap Metal

Hi all,

I've bought an Honor 7 device (with EMUI 4.0.1 by Huawe, based on Android 6.0 installed on it, currently software build PLK-L01C432B380) almost 4 months ago now and have been working with it since. It replaced my OnePlus One which was running on CyanogenMod (also Android 6.0) which was beginning to show too much wear and tear for me. Mostly I'm happy with the Honor except for a few minor things, but hey - I'm not one wind myself up about small stuff like that.

There is however 1 issue that got me pretty annoyed more than a few times by now. One big application I use my phone for is GPS navigation (using Waze if you're interested), and I never had this issue until I switched to the Honor so I'm not sure if it's device specific or linked to the software. When the device is connected to WiFi, it seems to ignore any input from mobile data and GPS to determine the location.

That might not seem a big issue, but here is the thing: my ISP (Telenet) has a service which allows their customers to enable their modem/router to also connect to mobile devices from other customers through a separate WiFi channel (Telenet WiFree), which can be accessed by logging in using the credentials of the ISP account. For example: I have Telenet, and my parents have Telenet too. We both have our modems enabled to use WiFree. When I go to my parents' place, I just connect to their Telenet WiFree network, which allows me to use WiFi on their modem but get billed on my own account.

The problem is that half the country uses Telenet and many people have this WiFree network enabled. So when I use my phone in the car for navigation, it sometimes connects to one of those networks, but because I'm driving it quickly loses connection again. The phone tries to restore the connection though, which creates this situation where I'm "connected to Telenet WiFree" but don't have an actual connection to the modem. And because my phone seemingly ignores the GPS input as long as there's a connection to WiFi, my navigation app no longer knows my location for some time (longest I've noticed so far is more than half a minute because it connected to one WiFree network, lost connection, reconnected very briefly to a new one, lost again etc.). And because my phone can't tell me where I am, this sometimes causes me to miss a turn and such.

I can fix it by disabling my WiFI when leaving with the car, but that's tedious as I'd have to disable/re-enable it each time and I drive quite a bit. I can't make my phone forget the WiFree network either as I use it to browse the internet in some corners of my house where my own modem has no coverage, but my neighbor's modem does. And the location settings only have the options of WiFi + mobile network + GPS, OR WiFi + mobile network, OR GPS only (there is no option to use GPS + mobile network and the Waze app prefers GPS + mobile network for location input to be more accurate).

I know this is a very complex situation and frankly, I doubt that there's an easy solution, but I can at least try and ask here. If something is not clear, please ask and I'll try to explain. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Try switching the Location Settings to GPS only and see if that helps.

3. Tenekhaas

Tenekhaas Member Scrap Metal

Hi Jake, thanks for your reply.

However, as I mentioned at the end of my original post, the navigation app I use requires GPS + mobile network for some reason, it won't be as accurate with GPS only.