1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

General Video Game Discussion

Discussion in 'General Technology News and Discussion' started by Driftslave, May 31, 2014.

?

What Gaming Console you own

1. Playstation 3

60.0%
  2. Playstation 4

20.0%
  3. Playstation Vita

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nintendo Wii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nintendo Wii U

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nintendo 3DS/2DS

20.0%
  7. Microsoft Xbox 360

20.0%
  8. Microsoft Xbox One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. PC

80.0%
  10. I only play mobile games (iOS/Android)

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    I didn't see a Video Game discussion thread, so I decide to make one.

What consoles do you guys own, games your into, and what games your looking forward to?

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    PC! :p

3. imS0ul

imS0ul Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    PC all the way, bro. Consoles suck (Oh no he didn't! :eek:)

Luka likes this.
  4. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    I respectfully disagree, Console gaming has it's own experience that PC could never replicate. This is more so if you play specific genre of games, which PC gamers never get the chance to play, mainly JRPG, Arcade style games, Fighting games, and Sony/Nintendo exclusive titles.

I do have a PC for gaming but it's mainly for Shoot'em up's, SRPG's, and MMO's outside of doujin's and other PC exclusive titles.

To each their own though, I respect your decision.

5. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    If the experience means playing a game with a handicap then yes. In about 90% of the games out there a PC user would beat you hands down using a mouse any keyboard. Also playing on the PC opens up the game to so many possibility. This is why a lot of the console games are limited in comparison to their PC releases.
    Exclusivity goes both ways. I think PC is still ahead there.
    And when it comes to games like Morstal Combat. Don't forget i can just buy a controller for 10 bucks and plug it into the USB. You can't stick a keyboard and mouse into a console so when it comes to limitations, it is in fact the console user that hast most of them.

EDIT: I just remembered: Emulator. BOOM! :D

imS0ul likes this.
  6. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Again I disagree. Just because not every game is 60fps or can be played on max settings =/= it being at a handicap.
    90% of PC users would beat Console games using a mouse& keyboard? In what games? Racers? No. Fighters? Definitely not.
    Console games usually come out before PC release...if there is even a PC release. Infact 80% of my games never came out for PC and if you were to emulate PS3 or 360 games you couldn't replicate online servers anyways which is where alot of games meat are at. Most gaming communities are on Consoles, you want to play Dark Souls 2, there are way more people to play with than on PC. This is pretty much true for most games, including shooters like COD and Battlefield.

As Far as Exclusives go, Console games have far more interesting exclusives than PC. Nintendo fans will flock to their Zelda's and Mario Kart which mind you you could never replicate the experience on PC because of the Wii U's gamepad. Sony have their Exclusives like God of War, Infamous, and driveclub(which is the best looking racer currently) are all on the PS4 exclusively and will have a fully integrated experience that no other racer has provide before(companion phone app, and car clubs/clans). I mean...you'll get XB1 Exclusives...but like almost a year or so later after everyone played the next Halo or Forza Motorsport.

What you don't understand about games like Monster Hunter or God Eater is that portable Handheld games are designed to be played with people who are social. It's designed to be played via Ad-Hawk or Wi-fi with other PS Vita's or 3DS's. It's not uncommon to play random people or friends in Pokemon on my 3DS locally or at conventions or events. I don't need a Keyboard or a mouse to play any game...literally I can competently play any game with a controller but the same isn't said with a keyboard and mouse.

Emulation doesn't emulate the complete experience(DLC or online play), Nor do they work properly (low frame rate, crashes, etc.) So No you can't emulate PS3 games to the point they are equal to or better than the actual console.

I feel that the PC master race don't like to admit that E3 is centered around console games and is the biggest gaming convention of the year next to the Tokyo Game Show...which is also based around Console games.

7. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Ill admit there are some games that i would like to play that are exclusive to consoles like The Last of us or Halo. But these games are exclusive to the consoles they are released on so don't go grouping all console games together.
    When it comes to gaming comunitys. I use Steam and the ability to chat with people among other things is one of the luxury's you don't have.
    And again don't forget i can stick a PS / Xbox controller in my PC. You can't put anything else than what you got with it.
    +Better graphics
    +Monitor is superior to a TV but i can use both
    +Faster loading times
    +Endless upgradability
    In the end, no matter who wins, you can't make a poll and completely ignore the other half of the gaming community:
    [​IMG]

8. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    I see why these boards are mostly dead. Your trying to avoid discussion completely.
    XBL has Live Parties which allows players to chat with others who are in the same party via text or voice chat(while playing games), this feature is on the PS4 as well, Steam is nothing special and I do have it as an option.
    Your missing the point about controllers. I don't need a keyboard/mouse for games on consoles because they are designed with the "Controller" in mind. How you do you think Nintendo makes their money on their hardware? Intuitive controls using their hardware(controllers). You don't know much about console gaming thus you look down on it with the mindset of "I can plug a controller into my PC thus have a = to or better experience.", which isn't the case with most console games.
    You Ignore the fact that there are specialized controllers for every gaming platform(Racing Wheels, Arcade Sticks, Light Guns, etc.), Console gamers are not bound to a controller like you assume.

Your bullet points:
    +Better Graphics: Your point here? Better visuals =/= better games, Nintendo has proven this point for years.
    +Monitor is Superior: Your really ignorant. Most Gamers who play games competitively use monitors on their gaming consoles, check most COD, Racing game(Forza or Gran Turismo), or Fighting game board and you'll see that people gaming on Lagless monitors by a majority, especially at tournaments. This isn't something exclusive to PC.
    +Faster Loading times: You do have that, but that is also dependent on the PC specifically and not every single PC.
    +Endless Upgradeability: This is where I think PC messes up. Back in 2008 when I bought my PS3, I only needed to spend that $300 1 time, I can play ALL PS3 games, no problem, Same with my 360. There are no requirements because each game is built to the specs of the console most of the time(bad ports do happen), but the point is that with a console, your pretty much guaranteed to be able to play anygame that comes out for it without having to spend additional money to boost your graphics card or sound card. This is one of the most desirable features of a console, the ease of use. Anyone can plug in a console, pick up a controller, and Game. Outside the realm of browser based games, PC games are not that easy to get into or set up for the average job. Also be mindful that the majority of PC's in the world are not optimized for gaming meaning that the feats that your PC can do =/= what the average Laptop can do, which limited that persons gaming capabilities to either low requirement games, or browser based/social networking titles.

Your graph shows how much money was spent on those markets, not how many people actually play them. This also doesn't list exports either which is a unfair comparison to consoles since 2/3rd's of gaming consoles are exports from Japan.(Sony& Nintendo).
    Your cherry picking information at best, so your graph is a moot point.

I find this really funny because the thread is about discussing games, not about whats better PC or Consoles. I get that your part of the PC master race and honestly that doesn't bother me, just don't shit on consoles like what that other guy did.

If no one wants to actually talk about games then i'll get this thread locked and be done with it because there is no point in trying to talk about something people have no desire in talking about.

hywelkidd likes this.
  9. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Man, chill, okay? This is not a fight nor it'll be a lit up discussion. We're here to talk about games.
    And I didn't say anything bad about consoles (If you meant this "just don't shit on consoles like what that other guy did." to me, which I think you did, since I'm the only other person active in this conversation). I know it's hard to convey sarcasm through the internet but I was perpetuating the "PC fanboy" stereotype and I'm sorry you didn't get it. My bad.
    In the end, people play what they want, on whichever platform they're comfortable with.
    From experience, I've had the PS3, the X360 and the PS4 and I didn't like the experience entirely so I sold them and I game on my PC. But that doesn't mean that other people have the same experience I did, since we're all different.
    But we're all gamers, regardless the platform we play on.

10. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    You should know better than anyone that it's nearly impossible to read sarcasm on the internet, especially among strangers.

I made the thread to really discuss games, instead it became a platform war. I wanted to know what kind of games people on Android Authority play? are they hardcore MMO players, RTS players, Do they play Shooters, Racing Sims, Fighters, party games, Action/Adventure, Survival Horror, or JRPG's?

I'm fine with talking about games....I've been trying to do that since I got here. Ideally I wanted to discuss games that you maybe excited to see at E3...can we at least start with that? It's pointless to attempt to have a discussion with someone if they are not on the same page.

11. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I don't know what you expected after neglecting the most used platform for gaming. But what ever. I supposed we can relabel this:
    General Console Game Discussion :p

12. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    @imS0ul i just started Wach Dogs today. Damn this thing is demanding and i don't think it's even such a big drain on the GFX as it is on the rest of the system. I unlocked the 4th core on my AMD but i think the bottleneck is the 4GB's of RAM. How much RAM do you have and how is the game running?

13. Driftslave

Driftslave Member

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Right, if your going to talk among yourselves then that's fine.

14. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    I have 8 gigs of RAM and the game takes one. But my GPU doesn't even get 100% load with the game with everything maxed out. The coding has to be improved.
    (I can't play it now since I unlocked the stealth car from uplay and now the game won't load the save game as it thinks. Waiting on ubisoft to fix the bug -. -)

Luka likes this.
  15. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Exactly. The thread just started on the wrong foot ;)
    Well, I play mostly FPS, RPGs, Racing Simulators and Indie games. I don't have favourite a game "style", I just play whatever floats my boat :p
    Well, for upcoming games, I'm really excited about the new Gran Turismo and Driveclub. They seem SO amazing! (well, at least graphically!)

16. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    What ever float's my boat, that's my style too :D
    Only game i am psyched about at the moment is Dying Light. I've see the game play trailer and i was sold.

imS0ul likes this.
  17. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    In the spirit of diversity and improving gamer relations, PC gaming has been added to the poll. Vote away.

IMO, exclusives are not a point in favour of consoles or PCs! If you buy into a closed ecosystem for a game, it's the platform owner who wins, not the consumer. This especially applies for consoles, where MS and Sony actively try to buy out entire franchises just to trap customers, but PC gamers must also note that the same bullspit also applies to the likes of Steam, Origin, Nvidia Physx, Mantle, etc.

Anyway... Elite Dangerous looks good.. :rolleyes:

Luka likes this.
  18. Mateo

Mateo Member

What pc games are u currently playing?

19. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Sorry m8 for the move but really no need to have more than one tread centered around the same discussion.

Anyhoo, right now i got Watch_Dogs that's running very slow on my PC :D
    Left 4 Dead 2, World of Thanks, Gas Guzzlers Extreme (Croatian game) & Skyrim that's idle for some time.

20. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    I'm still really into Planetside 2 as my main game. Best FPS around, as far as I'm concerned.

My guilty pleasure right now is Hearthstone, although I can't put my finger on why. Prison Architect and StarCraft are my backup games.