Did article comments get disabled?

Posted Jul 14, 2017 by Andromeda

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Member Scrap Metal

I used to love coming to AA to see what the writers and the community thought of different happenings. For at least the past month or so (probably longer) I haven't seen any of the usual comments (Disqus?) on articles that used to be there.

Did this feature get removed? I have my ad blocker and script blocker disabled on this site to better support it.

Some of the articles still say things like "leave us a comment below" (such as Lanh Nguyen's "Solar Red HTC 11: Iron Man edition" story only 3 days ago).

I find tech sites that do community engagement on articles really well (ArsTechnica) end up being a really enjoyable place to spend time, where sites that dont allow commentary (Recode) are significantly less so.

Just curious if it's just my setup or if they're totally removed. The Verge did this awhile back and it really torpedo'd the community engagement and the quality of the site.

Edit: I can see, only when signed in, this popup on the main page about users who are commenting on articles, and how many comments are on that article (powered by spot.im?). For instance, "Solar Red HTC 11: Iron Man edition" appears to have 8 comments. But clicking that story either from the main page or via the spot.im popups takes me to the article with no visable comments.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    We've changed commenting platforms recently. We're aware that some users are experiencing problems seeing the comment section. We're working on fixing that as soon as possible.

3. Andromeda

Andromeda Member Scrap Metal

Thanks! Glad they are sticking around. Hopefully I've only been missing that Samsung Note guy trolling people.

If it helps at all, this issue was experienced using firefox developer edition (up to date) and MS Edge (up to date).

4. tomachas

tomachas Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    HTC One
    Seriously I have the same problem. I have tried both browsers MS Edge and Chrome no adblocker.

5. Luka

Devices:
    Comment section takes a bit longer to load so if you scroll to the bottom as soon as you open the article, the system will start loading the comment section in the next article.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. tomachas

tomachas Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    HTC One
    Very occasionally that would happen. Maybe 1 out of 10 times.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  7. ordinary

ordinary Member Scrap Metal

I still can't see any comments or comment myself. I doubt it's time as I often read through all my emails in one go (anything from 15-50 of them for an indication of time) opening links in new tabs as I go. I often get the emails from AA quite late on so these links are opened first and they sit there, opened and waiting for me to read....whilst I get through my emails. It can be several minutes or hours and in that time I'd expect the comments to have loaded. Nope. STILL no comments.

I've also been able to be logged onto the forum without viewing so much as a log in screen yet on any of the articles there are no comments to read or add to, I can't see how to log in at any rate but I don't know if I'm already logged in as I was logged into the forums here about 2 minutes before reading the article. I don't think the comments issue is due to not being logged in, though a decent update would be a log in icon or link on any of the edit- write ups where comments do exist.

I don't understand this website anymore! Put the old one back!!

8. Luka

Devices:
    If you are using adblock, that could be the reason.

9. TheOracle72

TheOracle72 Member Droid Minion

The problem is that you ditched Disqus and quite a few people are complaining about it on other forums. What makes no sense at all is that I need a separate login to comment on articles even though I'm a member of the AA forum. Just give us Disqus please.

10. Luka

Devices:
    Disqus and the forum never shared login details. Those were two different systems. Same as it is now.

11. TheOracle72

TheOracle72 Member Droid Minion

I never said they shared login details. I said the forum and comments sections don't share login details. Since that's the case you might as well restore Disqus.

12. rap

rap Member Scrap Metal

I just started following Android Authority in the last month or so. I have two other Android blogs I read consistently and often learn as much from the comments as the articles. This has been bothering me that I cannot get the comments here. Glad to know it's not user error. But honestly if can't get the comments, I'm really not all that interested in reading it.