Did article comments get disabled?

Posted Jul 14, 2017 by Andromeda

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Member Scrap Metal

I used to love coming to AA to see what the writers and the community thought of different happenings. For at least the past month or so (probably longer) I haven't seen any of the usual comments (Disqus?) on articles that used to be there.

Did this feature get removed? I have my ad blocker and script blocker disabled on this site to better support it.

Some of the articles still say things like "leave us a comment below" (such as Lanh Nguyen's "Solar Red HTC 11: Iron Man edition" story only 3 days ago).

I find tech sites that do community engagement on articles really well (ArsTechnica) end up being a really enjoyable place to spend time, where sites that dont allow commentary (Recode) are significantly less so.

Just curious if it's just my setup or if they're totally removed. The Verge did this awhile back and it really torpedo'd the community engagement and the quality of the site.

Edit: I can see, only when signed in, this popup on the main page about users who are commenting on articles, and how many comments are on that article (powered by spot.im?). For instance, "Solar Red HTC 11: Iron Man edition" appears to have 8 comments. But clicking that story either from the main page or via the spot.im popups takes me to the article with no visable comments.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    We've changed commenting platforms recently. We're aware that some users are experiencing problems seeing the comment section. We're working on fixing that as soon as possible.

3. Andromeda

Andromeda Member Scrap Metal

Thanks! Glad they are sticking around. Hopefully I've only been missing that Samsung Note guy trolling people.

If it helps at all, this issue was experienced using firefox developer edition (up to date) and MS Edge (up to date).