Can you please Recommend a Phone for under $425?

Posted Aug 13, 2017 by mohsen ali

1. mohsen ali

mohsen ali Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    samsung galaxy s5
    hello, i am currently using zte-zmax pro and really like the phone and has been good ever since i bought it. I would like to upgrade but i don't want to spend $800-1000.

things that are important for me in a phones:
    battery life
    i watch a lot of videos
    surfing the websites
    many different apps
    atleast a 5.5 inch screen i like bigger to be honest
    atleast 4 GB ram
    atleast full HD screen if possible omled
    multi tasking
    camera has to be at the very least decent

i want something that can last me atleast 2 years or more here are some i am looking at and i am open to any and all suggestions:

zte axon 7 can anyone provide their feedback as the phone has been in market for over a year
    moto G5 plus if anyone is using it how's the experience
    OnePlus 5 bit out of range
    Xiaomi Mi Note 2

please help me out

if there are phones any of you are using with great experience please let me know

I like LG phones never use them but the bootloop issue scares me. I really like LG V10 but i don't want to get it and than it gets boot loop

I really like LGv10. I read LG fixed the issue after a certain time so the newer models of LGV10 don't have the boot loop issue but how do i know which one i am buying though

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    I would stay away from the V10. That boot-loop issue probably wasn't fully resolve until the release of the G6. That said, if you live in the US and adding another $75 on top of your budget isn't an issue; I recommend the LG G6. At the moment it's the best bang for buck phone out there. Basically what the OnePlus should have been but isn't.

3. TheOracle72

TheOracle72 Member Droid Minion

You can pick up a 4gb 64gb Huawei Mate 9 for around $400-450 these days new. Superb value with worldwide bands and excellent battery life. The Mi Note 2 6gb 128gb is around $450 now too. Same worldwide bands and excellent battery life. The Xiaomi will also give you unlimited updates for the entire useful life of the phone. Add about $40 and you can even get the gorgeous Mi Mix 4gb 64gb brand new and it works on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

4. mohsen ali

Devices:
    samsung galaxy s5
    so LG g6 doesn't have any boot loop issues? i was reading that LG phones tend to start running slow a lot sooner than other android phones. But thank you i will do more research on it now

5. mohsen ali

Devices:
    samsung galaxy s5
    so you said Huawei mate 9
    Mi note 2
    Mi mix

how are these 2 companies(huawei/Xiaomi) in reliability and do these phones tend to slow down sooner rather than later. How's is their in house chip set instead of using snap dragon in Huawei

you said Xiaomi will give free unlimited updates what do you mean by that?

6. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    The Huawei Mate 9's Kirin 960 SOC is a beast of a SOC in some aspects it even smokes the latest SnapDragon SOC and Samsung's latest Exynos SOC. I am not sure if Xiaomi provides unlimited firmware updates for their devices, I think they do the same as all android OEMs and just provide their devices with 2 years of major firmware updates. They may proceed to release security patches.

7. mohsen ali

Devices:
    samsung galaxy s5
    good to know i was worried maybe their chip wasn't as good as snapdragon

thank you i will now look at all phones using kirin chip set

8. TheOracle72

Xiaomi update all their major models for the life of the phone. Right now Nougat based MIUI 9 is being released for the following models, some of which are almost 5 years old: Mi 6, Mi 5s Plus, Mi 5s, Mi 5c, Mi 5, Mi 4S, Mi 4c, Mi 4, Mi 3, Mi 2/2S, Mi MIX, Mi Max 2, Mi Max, Mi Note 2, Mi Note/Pro, Mi Pad 2, Mi Pad 1, Redmi Note 4X (MTK), Redmi Note 4X (SD), Redmi Note 4, Redmi Note 3 (MTK), Redmi Note 3 (SD), Redmi Note 2, Redmi Note, Redmi Pro, Redmi 4X, Redmi 4A, Redmi 4, Redmi 4 Prime, Redmi 3S/Prime, Redmi 3, Redmi 2A, Redmi 2/Prime, Redmi 1S, Redmi 1.

Xiaomi also allows you to easily rollback to a previous or different version if you prefer. If you're in the US though I'd choose the Mate 9 as it's compatible with all the networks and has worldwide distribution making it easier to repair.

9. TheOracle72

Not true. Here's the list for MIUI 9 Nougat and it even goes all the way back to the "ancient" Redmi 1.

Mi 6, Mi 5s Plus, Mi 5s, Mi 5c, Mi 5, Mi 4S, Mi 4c, Mi 4, Mi 3, Mi 2/2S, Mi MIX, Mi Max 2, Mi Max, Mi Note 2, Mi Note/Pro, Mi Pad 2, Mi Pad 1, Redmi Note 4X (MTK), Redmi Note 4X (SD), Redmi Note 4, Redmi Note 3 (MTK), Redmi Note 3 (SD), Redmi Note 2, Redmi Note, Redmi Pro, Redmi 4X, Redmi 4A, Redmi 4, Redmi 4 Prime, Redmi 3S/Prime, Redmi 3, Redmi 2A, Redmi 2/Prime, Redmi 1S, Redmi 1

10. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    As long as you are looking at device running flagship HiSilicon Kirin SOCs, you will be fine. As I stated eariler the Kirin 960 SOC found in the Mate 9 is a beast.