Can cheap headphones/set damage your phone?

Posted Jul 30, 2015 by Ron W

1. Ron W

Ron W Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    LG Optimus Elite, Alcatel Onetouch Pop 7
    I've been thinking of getting a bluetooth headset for some time and thought about the possibility of finding some at this store called 5 below. Everything is $5 or less there. It might be a longshot but I found some headphones there that still work but don't go over my ears. My Mom told me someone she works with had her phone on a car charger she got for $5 and it burned her phone and she warned me against getting a headset for cheap because of this. Does anything think it wise to buy a $5 bluetooth headset?

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    I doubt that a cheap bluetooth device can damage your phone. But I have heard stories of cheap 3rd party chargers and batteries destroying phones.

3. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    Well no because what happened to that guy had to do with charging the phone. Nothing related to Bluetooth or a 3.5mm jack will damage your phone.

4. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Moderator Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i ( Dual Boot)
    My answer is no. We can't compare a charger to a headset. If we use low quality charger, it may give uneven power supply which can lead to damages but in this case, phone is giving and the headset is taking which won't affect your phone. I have even used a cheap headset of about $1-2 and that didn't affect my tablet as well as PC in any way.

5. Ron W

Ron W Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    LG Optimus Elite, Alcatel Onetouch Pop 7
    Thank you all.

6. j4v3d

j4v3d Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    HTC One M7
    I wouldn't think a pair of headphones can damage your phone, a dodgy battery or charger definitely can damage your phone.

7. Prince Dastan

Prince Dastan Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    As far I know that a cheap headphone won't damage your phone but it can be harmful for your ear. So be careful.

8. Pulkit Singh

Pulkit Singh Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    One Plus One, xiaomi MiPad
    I can't proof it, though I get this inclination that low quality earphones will surely provide some sort of inconvenience in the long term of usage. But its a good practice to use at least a more than average kind of headsets to sail smoothly in your daily music listening chores.

9. Mick Knowles

Mick Knowles Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Xperia Z5 Premium, Moto 360
    Definitely not but if you buy cheap you usually end up buying twice. It's probably 5 bucks for a reason.

10. JacobVR

JacobVR Member Scrap Metal

agreed with Mick

11. ssohp

ssohp Member Drone Droid

I agree with Prince Dastan! You should be careful with cheap headphones. They could probably harm your ears and auditory canal.

12. everdefiant

everdefiant Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Sony Xperia Z2 + Galaxy Note4
    I don't know if cheap headphones can damage your phone but they can damage your bank balance. Remember that you do get what you pay for a lot of the time. Pay a little more now and it will save you having to go and buy a new pair every second week because your cheapies couldn't handle the stress.

13. johnyboy84

johnyboy84 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    S6 edge+
    I believe that a phone could destroy cheap headphones :D

14. JenniferGarcia

JenniferGarcia Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    SIAM 7X
    I will also say that cheap headphones can damage your smartphones but not harmful for your ears.

15. Mohamed Aman

Mohamed Aman New Member Scrap Metal Drone Droid

Devices:
    HTC One M8
    Plugging in a headset wont damage your phone, damaging your ears hmm that i do not know.

16. Tane777

Tane777 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Note edge galaxy s4
    Look I can't swear to it but after buying a cheap set of bluetooth earbuds and syncing them to both my S4 and note edge they both started having serious software issues. They both displayed a message saying a reverse charging cord had been attached to my phone .Then neither would charge. Not even reconizing the charger was hooked up it was only after Un synicing that they both became ok again. So becarful.

17. Alvin James

Alvin James Member Scrap Metal

I think, Yes Cheap Bluetooth headphones or faulted headphones can destroy you expensive phones.

18. psionandy

psionandy Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    oneplus one, Tab 2
    Er... No they can't...

Bluetooth is a wireless connection... How exactly do you think they can destroy a phone?

19. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, I don't get how cheap bluetooth headphones can destroy your device either :/ I know that the audio and bluetooth connection maybe poor

20. Alvin James

Alvin James Member Scrap Metal

I can't Explain