buy unlocked phone in the US for use in Europe

Posted Aug 26, 2017 by Pete

1. Pete

Pete Member Scrap Metal

Hi,

I see that the 64 Gb/4GB G5 plus retails for cheaper than the price of a 32 GB/3GB In Europe. I have a business trip to DC coming up and was thus thinking of buying it then. If I buy unlocked version, can I still use in europe?

Thanks

Pete

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    Just make sure the 4G bands are compatible with the ones in your country. That and you'll probably need to get a new charger as the US one won't fit in any (I think) EU standard wall sockets.

Other than that, you're good. Oh and goes without saying make sure it's SIM unlocked.

3. Pete

Pete Member Scrap Metal

Thanks Luka. Most providers in europe are now 4G, though some still work on 3G. is that enough?

The phone I had in mind (which is unlocked) is from best buy - I can't post a link on this forum apparently but it's the 4GB/64 GB version at 299$.

Last question - I assume 4GB makes it a bit faster than the 3G Sold in europe? And why isn't the 64 GB version available over here?

Thank you so much!

Pete

4. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    Not what I meant. You need to see if the device supports the same LTE bands as your carrier in your home country for 4G LTE to work. If not, then you're stuck at max 3G.

Somewhat. It's more down to OS optimization. It will be able to buffer more apps tho so that's good.

That one I can't answer :p

5. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    That is not a good idea. As EU Cell Providers use GSM bands rather than CDMA bands used in the US. While T-Mobile devices do run on GSM bands, you would have to purchase a US device that is fully compatible with T-Mobile.

6. TheOracle72

TheOracle72 Member Droid Minion

Jake you seem confused about which bands are used in the US and what it means because you keep repeating the same fallacy. The two cdma carriers are Verizon and Sprint including their mvno's. The two gsm carriers are T-Mobile and AT&T and their mvno's. Just about every modern phone will work on all four networks. The difference is that greedy Verizon and Sprint will only allow a few unlocked (mainly Samsung and Apple) phones on their networks. AT&T and T-Mobile don't have such ridiculous restrictions. I hope that clears it up for you.