Brand new Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro is extremely slow

Posted Dec 8, 2015 by S-Hamilton

1. S-Hamilton

S-Hamilton Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Samsung Note 10"
    I just got a new Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro. Thought it would be nice to have on the trip I am going on, especially with the built in projector which is like having a big TV with you (albeit a bit dark).

Anyway, from the very moment I start it up the first time (about 5 days ago) it has been extremely slow. The main menus, desktop navigation and so on work fine, but once you get to web surfing it is slow, really really slow - it loads pages slowly, it renders slowly, scrolling is choppy, to the point that is unbearable.

When I pick up my 2 year old Samsung phone I get a huge relief form being able to surf at a comparingly super speed (which I used to think was a bit slow before getting the Yoga 3). The touch sensing is also imprecise and I usually end up tapping many times to open menus etc. The whole tablet seems to be outdoing itself with the high resolution it actually has. The processor is too slow to handle it and when opening the program tabs (Alt-tab in Windows) the tabs are squashed horizontally and the text is narrow and high - like a too high resolution being displayed incorrectly.

How slow can a tablet get? Well, how slow can a premium tablet get? At least I thought I was getting premium when I chose a well known brand and a well received product. Maybe the price is just too low to ensure a good tablet, maybe it is the mere 2 GB of ram it comes with that is the problem?

What can I do, complain to the store? Make adjustments to settings? (have already tried a bunch of different settings in the developer options). It came with Chrome, but I tried FF, Opera and Opera Mini (some of these just crashed after awhile or wasn't that much faster). Checked ram usage and made sure it was no more than 50% before browsing but to no help.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Shawny

Shawny Nightwing Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I was going to suggest using Chrome or another browser but seeing as those didn't work try factory resetting it to see if the problem persists, which if it does, could be a huge problem. Check for updates before you reset it just in case there is a bug fix and performance improvement patch, otherwise if it remains like that, I'd take it back to the store.

3. Hikari

Hikari Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    BQ Aquaris X5+ , Moto G3 , Pebble Time
    I own Lenovo Tab 2 a10 -70 and I am experiencing the same issues as you with your Yoga. My gf has Yoga Tab 2 8" and this one works nice and smoothly. Don't know how Lenovo is trying to save money on manufacturing but it clearly doesn't work for devices released after Yoga Tab 2.

I would just return to the store if I was you as I haven't be able to improve performance of my Lenovo tablet with anything and I bought it online without warranty.... Lol :D

4. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, I agree with Hikari. I'd take it back to the store for a replacement as the specs for the Yoga Tab 3 Pro aren't that bad, so I would imagine that it would give you are semi-good user experience. I've played around with a few Lenovo Tabs at my local high street retailer and they were as slow as what you said your Yoga Tab Pro 3 is.

5. Jmi

Jmi Member Scrap Metal

Hi, had the same problem with the same tablet, I believe it arose after the 5.1 upgrade. I did a factory reset and so far it is back to normal, good browsing speeds in chrome again.

6. Megzy2k16

Megzy2k16 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge, Samsung Gear S, Lenovo Yoga Tab Pro 3
    Known issue, you can check the Lenovo forums for more information here.
    Cant post links yet but it's under Android Tablets, Lenovo Yoga Tablet 3 Pro: Serious memory issues (bug report).

7. S-Hamilton

S-Hamilton Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Samsung Note 10"
    Thanks, will have a look!

8. elvis costello

elvis costello Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    sony z3
    i got lenova tab 3 just 2 weeks ago and it seems fast and nice untill browsing . exactly as you said and this is with all browsers chrome firefox even the worlds fastezst rated browsers like maxthon . it would be an amazing tab if not for this problem i mean 20 hours of batter life during use is special and rare but not at the cost of browsing i mean sheesh lenovo come on now .

9. bluedick

bluedick Member Scrap Metal

yoga tab3 8" here, turn off all three animation in developer options:
    -windows animation scale
    -Transition animation scale
    -Animator duration scale

Yoga tab seem to be faster, no rooting required

10. pjmma

pjmma Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Yoga Tab 3 , LG G2, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab, more
    Thanks for tips bluedick! I tried all kinds of stuff to speed up my Yoga Tab 3 8", nothing worked. I wanted to upgrade to Marshmallow, but couldn't find a safe way to do it. Then I tried your animation tips, and now my Yoga is running great! It's now my favorite tablet by far, thanks again :)

11. Martin7575

Martin7575 Member Scrap Metal

I dont understand this! How do i find below info on my yoga tab 3 pro

yoga tab3 8" here, turn off all three animation in developer options:
    -windows animation scale
    -Transition animation scale
    -Animator duration scale

12. pjmma

pjmma Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Yoga Tab 3 , LG G2, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab, more
    You need to turn on Developer Options. Go to your System Settings and scroll down to see if you have Developer Options. If that's not there, you need to turn it on. Here's how:
    In System Settings, go to "About Tablet", then look for the "Build Number" entry. Now click 5 times on the Build Number entry, and it will ask you if you want to turn on developer options, click "Yes". Now you'll have Developer Options in your System Settings, and you'll find those 3 options there.