Ask Gary

Posted Mar 9, 2016 by Gary Sims

1. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    Hey @Gary Sims ! You could add a quick tip in this article,
    http://www.androidauthority.com/build-custom-android-rom-720453/
    If we use --depth=1 while initializing the repo, it reduces the size a lot speeding up the process of syncing the source.
    Code:
    repo init -u link -b branch --depth=1

Also, it would be awesome if you add more details on the proprietary binaries section, like how we can get it for non-nexus devices, etc. (I know you have done the article for devices with support out of the box but still). And maybe you should add the location where the blobs are to be extracted (/vendor/vendor_name/device/)

2. Deni Yulianti

Deni Yulianti Member Scrap Metal

Hi Gary.

I have problem related on internet connection in Android x-86 version 5.1 (Lollipop) and version 4.4 (Kitkat). I run that android emulators on VM-ware.

I use android-x86-4.4-r5.iso for Kitkat and android-x86-5.1-rc.iso for Lollipop.

I have internet connectivity and I can use web browser for both android emulators, but I cannot download the APK files.

The status of the APK files at Download Folder always show Queued status and I waited for so long but there was no any APK file at that folder (Download folder), or there is no any response.

Besides, when I used my administrator account, I can access internet (web browser Chrome) but I cannot access internet on my instant messagings, such as LINE, Viber and so on.

But when I changed to be a guest account in Android x-86 OS, I cannot get any internet connectivity.

Please help me out. Thanks.

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

3. Deni Yulianti

Hello Gary.

I have a problem, using my administrator account, I can access internet both my android applications, such as LINE, Viber and so on and web browser (Chrome).

But when I change to be a guest account in Remix OS, I cannot get any internet connectivity. I installed Remix OS on VM-ware.

I use Android version 6.0.1 and Remix OS version 3.0.205.

Please help me out. Thanks.

4. Rohit Sharma

Rohit Sharma Member Scrap Metal

Hi Garry, I am going to buy my 1st Android device (budget 150 dollar) only purpose to buy is to practice for my Mobile Testing (Appium) & day to day purpose.
    I don't know original Android will be good like what MOTO provide or other which uses Touchwiz in Samsung & MI-8 in Redmi .
    Please Help me

5. ahmet urun

ahmet urun Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia XA Ultra
    Hi Gary. I just watched your video about Kernel. I need develop an Android app which can takes picture from both front and back facing cameras at the same time and the native android.hardware.camera API is blocks this so I want to ask if I can make a custom ROM and using this ROM develop this app. Do yo think it is possible. Thanks.

6. Akash Jain

Devices:
    I think the camera hardware needs to support it as well.
    Check out this though,
    https://bitbucket.org/jens_grubert/androiddualcameracapture/

7. ahmet urun

Devices:
    Thanks but I already checked this one before and it doesn't really do what I'm trying to accomplish. It's just shows the preview of the front and back facing cameras, but still fails when try to take pictures with those preview because it uses the android native camera class <android.hardware.camera> which doesn't allow such operation. See the screenshot I put below:

h(remove)t(remove)t(remove)p://i68.(remove)tinypic(remove).(remove)com(remove)/fykhw6.png

basically when you press capture button(one of them) it takes picture from both front and back facing cameras at the same time. but when the takePicture() function starts for one camera the other camera operations suspends until camera.release() called and after that you have to create the preview all over again for the other camera and run the takePicture() function again. I want to run takePicture() function for both cameras at the same time. If you understand what I'm trying to say could tell me how to lead on such a modification on android source code. I already download all the source code and make a custom rom out of it but I don't really know how to mess up with camera functions. Could you tell me what you know about this. Thanks in advance.(As you said figuring the hardware does support it.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  8. Akash Jain

Devices:
    Sorry but I don't know what modifications you can make that will allow you to do that. One info, I can give you is, HTC's stock OS seems to have support for it. My Butterfly 2 is able to capture photo using both cameras at same time.

9. ahmet urun

Devices:
    Thanks for your response I'll keep digging for that I hope can find a solution.

10. Akash Jain

Devices:
    Okay, I think I know where the native camera api files are located, if I am correct, it's in,
    /frameworks/base/core/java/android/hardware and /frameworks/base/core/java/android/hardware/camera2

11. HEYDOGGROOMER

HEYDOGGROOMER Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    SAMSUNG NOTE 4
    good morning ok so gary my ex took my samsung note 4 he has turned off locATION is there any other way to locate my pnone

12. Deni Yulianti

Hi Gary,

I have a problem using physical keyboard which is Vietnamese language on ZALO Instant Messaging.

I have tried some keyboards but it cannot work such as TS Keyboard, Viet telex keyboard, Guobi Vietnamese keyboard, IQQI, Redraw keyboard, viet fast keyboard, vietname keyboard, vietnamese keyboard, vietnamese for GO keyboard and so on.

My problems are whenever I try to type some words, there was blinking on ZALO so that I cannot use the physical keyboard; and the background color for the keyboard is white that is not clear for typing since same color with ZALO's background.

I use Remix OS version 3.0.205 (kernel version is 4.4.19-android-x86_64) with Android Marshmallow version 6.0.1 that runs over VM-ware Workstation Player 12.5.

Please help me out. I would appreciate for any suggestion and help.

13. Deni Yulianti

I have a problem using Remix OS which is I wanna get rid of Recommendation Tab on Android Emulator (Remix OS). I use Remix OS version 3.0.205 (kernel version is 4.4.19-android-x86_64) with Android Marshmallow version 6.0.1 that runs over VM-ware Workstation Player 12.5.

Because I dont want Recommendation tab still exists on my Remix OS.

Please help me out. I would appreciate any suggestion and help.

14. Matthew Tellez

Matthew Tellez Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    all samsung gear models, apple watches, pebble gear, and sony smartwatches. I am also getting familiar with Fossils Q line.
    Now I know which thread to watch!

15. adi_chirca

adi_chirca Member Scrap Metal

are upgraded versions of android slower than older? why people upgrade?i run kitkat and is faster than nougat,with the original apps that came with kitkat ,older versions,root,no bloatware and is the fastest phone in the world,<galaxy note 3>why people upgrade??????just for customised notifications ?

16. Mongkon Srisin

Mongkon Srisin Member Scrap Metal

Hello Gary Sims,

Please make a video explain about systemless root and SafetyNet.

Thanks.

17. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    I'll pass it along to Gary :)