1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Android gaming, doomed to fail?

Discussion in 'Android News & Discussion' started by Rob Triggs, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    So Nvidia is reportedly working on a new gaming console for under your TV, but given the mixed reception of Ouya and Shield, I think we're probably all a bit sceptical about its chances of success.

Personally I think there's potential, but the hardware needs to be more competitive with modern consoles. We might need to see another hardware gen from Nvidia first, as well as some decent controllers too. Game quality still has a lot to be desired as well, and this is perhaps the biggest issue facing Android gaming projects (and is perhaps why Nvidia continues to focus on streaming games from PCs). Maybe, some sort of Linux/Android revolution will happen, as Steam is still pushing its Linux software and hardware, but again that is still years away from reaching the average gamer.

Do you see anything that Android based hardware developers could do to really make an impact in this space, or is Android TV probably the best we're going to get?

Jayfeather787 likes this.
  2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Mobile SOC progress is a lot faster than the development of PC/Console graphics and processing chips. That's how i see it anyway. I personally see potential here. Don't forget OUYA is 99$. A PS 4 costs something like 600-700$ (here anyway). People are not buying consoles as much as they did before but tablets and phones are selling like hot cakes. Developers and chip manufacturers move as the market does. And this is not a gimmick, this is the same old approach using technology that's currently in high demand.
    People expect a PS4 type system and that's just not gonna happen. I'll pay the 99$ for a OUYA one day. Last PS i had was a 2 and i don't even plan to buy a PlayStation again.
    Give it time.

Jayfeather787 and Rob Triggs like this.
  3. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    What would you think about slightly better built, $200-$300 Android console (perhaps with a Tegra K1 or its successor). Much cheaper than a PS4/XB1, but a bit of a step up that just a standard mobile SoC in a box? Or is cheaper better when it comes to Android gaming?

4. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I would go with things i can run on my phone. That way i can continue playing the same games on the move.
    Also 99$ is just about all i would spend on a console. Maybe 150.

5. Jonathan Feist

Jonathan Feist Team AA Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 7, Moto G
    I think the $99 Android unit is still missing something. I remember setting up the Panasonic 3D0 for the first time, we sat there for 20 minutes waiting for it to load a digital picture on the screen. It was our pictures, on a cd, playing on the TV! Looking back, the functionality really sucked, but the WOW factor was through the roof. Sadly, that sort of unique ability will be hard to find as more Android gaming boxes hit the market, they are just late to the game, really late. The potential for success through sales volume is there at the lower price point, but nobody expects a Ferrari for the price of a Ford Focus - it'll be a hard sell, no matter how good the box is.

6. Ryu Haneda

Ryu Haneda Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    HTC One Max, Droid 4
    Android gaming? DEFINITELY not doomed to fail. There is just too much activity (and way too much support from the indie sector) to let it go quietly.

If Android game systems will fall under any orbit remotely resembling that of current home consoles, they would be very, very wise to learn from history and see how other videogame consoles came and went (some retaining their reputation, some having that reputation be stained).

Personally, I think Android gaming stands to seriously put everybody else on notice. But timing is everything - Android developers (like me) will need to create unique, fresh, mindblowingly-good games that make the rest of the industry pay attention. At the end of the day, I believe game libraries sell systems; with some of the amazing indie titles I've seen appear, the Android videogame console industry may be in deep (and banking on some good indie titles to bring its rep back up.) But dead? As Morpheus once said:

"... far from it."

-Ryu

Rob Triggs and Luka like this.
  7. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    Soon we will have GTX Titans in our mobile devices. a.png