AA podcast discussion.

Posted Jun 5, 2016 by peter11star

1. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, for a truly immersive VR experience you need hardware that is allot more powerful than that found in most current day handsets. In most cases you need a gaming rig with 2 or more GPU's working simultaneously to produce a really good VR experience.

2. peter11star

peter11star Active Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy s7, Nvidia Shield K1, Nexus Player, Lg G Watch Urbane
    Daydream should be interesting. But ofcourse not now, but I think in the future, probably 2021, we might see some kind of phone that can be immersive for VR.

3. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    2021? Yea, we should have something cool by then.

4. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch, NVIDIA Shield Tablet
    Oh no you di-in't!

5. peter11star

Devices:
    Lol

6. peter11star

Devices:

I mean, they will do this at some point. Phones are becoming more and more powerful as time goes on.

7. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    Hmm...yea.

8. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Most mobile devices are powerful enough as is and yet we still don't have apps/games that make full use of the power in our mobile devices.

9. peter11star

Devices:
    Exactly. They will also get more and more and powerful as time goes on.

10. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Which is a waste of development resources! The current gen of SOCs are already at the point where they can complete against computer CPUs. What the tech community needs to focus on is further development on battery technology. What is the point in having such powerful hardware in our mobile devices when we don't have the battery to power them for more than a few hours?!

11. peter11star

Devices:
    I agree. I do think that battery technology needs to advance before hardware. Also keep in mind, hardware can help save battery life.

12. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Not always. While the latest incarnations of Samsungs Exynos, Qualcomm's Snapdragon, Mediatek's Helios and Huawei's Kirin SOC have been said to be more "improve" energy efficent. There haven't really improved upon battery life. The same can also be said of display technology. Even AMOLED displays, which are more energy efficent than IPS and other displays haven't actually improve upon battery much either.

13. peter11star

Devices:
    Oh I know hardware doesn't always save battery life. It all depends on what the OEMs put into their phones or tablets.

14. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Talk about hit the nail on the head, man! You and I are litterally on the same wave length. :cool:

15. Jake Lam

Devices:
    YEH! :goofy::thumbsup: I got a shoutout in this weeks episode of the AA Podcast! This has literally made my day!

16. peter11star

Devices:
    Dang it. You beat me to it. But hearing our profiles and this thread shouted out was just outta nowhere and awesome.

About the Sony phones they will not sell well just simpily because of what you get. Snapdragon 650 is found in most mid rangers. My opinion it should be priced at $350, no more than $400.

App downloads are gonna go up and down especially with popular apps.

17. Jake Lam

Devices:
    I didn't expect it either! I shocked to hear our names getting a shout out during this week's episode of the podcast!

Yeah, but Sony had a bad habit of releasing a new flagship every 6 months and over saturating the market with their flagship devices. I remember that shortly after the original Xperia Z was released they released the Z Ultra and the Z1 in rapid succession. They were basically cannibalizing sales of their own products. Also the early Xperia Z range (prior to the Z5) had structural problems around the power button area. Not to mention the fragile glass panels breaking easily.

I do agree that the latest Xperia X being priced so high makes it doomed to failure. As we can easily get a device with the same hardware specs made by another OEM much cheaper.

App downloads will rise and fall like the stock market. Most people these days only install updates to apps that they already have installed on their devices anyway. Plus the majority of games on the Play Store seem to be clones of popular titles. I can't even count how may match 3 Bejewel like games I seen advertised in the Play Store home page when I log in to check for app updates.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  18. peter11star

Devices:
    Exactly. Granted, Samsung releases a new flagship every 6 months also. But that's a whole new line of phones that people look forward to. Also, what kills the new Sony phone is a lousey camera, (which is surprising for an OEM who makes digital cameras and who distribute camera sensors to other OEMs). Its really quite a bummer because Sony does have potential to make a lot based on the on board storage in the phone. Its actually sad because the nexus 6p is less money.

19. Jake Lam

Devices:
    I couldn't agree with you more if Sony had released a completely different device every few months rather than a upgraded flagship. They would have done allot better. I always wondered why they used such poor quality camera sensors on their own devices and sell other OEMs much better quality ones. They also have a habit of using poor quality materials to construct their devices, they use their own "shatterproof" glass panels rather than gorilla glass. Which is why their devices break so easily. That depends where you get the Nexus 6P from some retailers sell it at a much higher price than others.

I do like Lenovo/Motorola's modular design. LG's take on modular design was poorly planned as it included a structural weak point in the device's construction. I do hope that Lenovo/Motorola will work with case manufacturers to create cases which integrate modular hardware. Like an addidtional battery back into a protective case or a waterproof camera module.

20. peter11star

Devices:
    I was basing the Nexus 6p price off of what Google was selling it for. I have a friend who has an xperia z2 and the quality of his photos are just so grainey. Its brutal.

I agree with you on the Moto mods. They don't need to have the whole battery removed to put on a back. There might be a case that fits it, but case makers don't generally make cases for phone accories. Its always based on how the base structure of the phone is.