AA podcast discussion.

Posted Jun 5, 2016 by peter11star

1. peter11star

peter11star Active Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy s7, Nvidia Shield K1, Nexus Player, Lg G Watch Urbane
    Hey everyone,

I just thought it would be a great idea to have a discussion about each week's AA podcast.

So feel free to share thoughts about the last AA podcast here.

2. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Well-Known Member Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2, Vido M9i (Dual Boot)
    Not heard any podcast after no. 60, been a little busy these days.

3. peter11star

Devices:
    Hey it happens sometimes. I just thought it would be great to have a discussion about the AA podcast and have a thread dedicated to the podcast.

4. Akash Jain

Devices:
    Yup, your idea is a cool one, maybe we will have some discussions sometime soon;)

5. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    Love this. All be it I'm gonna find a better home for this thread.

6. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch, NVIDIA Shield Tablet
  7. peter11star

Devices:
    Alright. That is cool.

8. peter11star

Devices:
    So yeah another AA podcast. Let's discuss. I agree with Lahn about the moto fingerprint sensor. It could have been on that moto dimple. It should have been there for a while.

Also with VR, VR is expensive and I'm not even talking about the headset you get.

BTW 6.8 inch zenfone 3 ultra surpasses phablet. That's a tablet with phone features and a receiver.

9. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Are you gonna rant more about the "Average User" Hindy? :goofy:

I'm guessing they couldn't get the sensor to work on the Moto dimple as it had the Moto logo on it. Or it could be that Lenovo want to differentiate themselves from other Chinese OEMs, who have the fingerprint scanner on the back of the device.

That depends on whether you have a standalone VR headset and not a VR system connected to a gaming computer. If you have a GearVR and a Samsung compatible device then it's gonna be slight cheaper than getting a VR system connect to a gaming system capable of running the VR software.

Yeah, it's more or less the Sony Xpera Z Ultra or a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 with call making capabilities. Yes, those do exist I've seen people use them in Hong Kong. It seems that tablets with calling making capabilities are very popular in Asia.

Speaking of which on Nirave's note about the iPad being used to make calls. I actually saw a kid do that on their iPad while I was getting my SGSII and setting it up myself in store while I was waiting for the cashier to process my purchase.

10. peter11star

Devices:
    Because Hindy loves average user phones lol.

Maybe. But I just think that it would be a sensible place for them to put the fingerprint sensor.

Oh of course. Its that people will barely be able to afford the equipment, let alone the room for it. I think when the phone headset gets as good as a HTC vice, then VR will really take off.

Really? Must have been on WiFi calling of some kind.

Zenfone 3 ultra must be an Asia release only then. Didn't hear if that phone is coming to the US or not.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    HAHA! :goofy:

The placement of the fingerprint scanner is all about user preference. Some like it on the front, some on the back and some on the side. While having a rear facing fingerprint scanner is more convenient on the go, it's useless when you have your device placed on a desk and you want to respond to emails and text while your are working.

I think Samsung and LG have done a pretty good job with their own respective VR headsets. While there are not nearly as immersive as that of dedicated VR systems. They do offer a affordable VR experience.

Nope, I saw the kid browse their contact list on their iPad, select a contact and make a call. The kid even placed the iPad on their ear like it was just a giant phone!

You never know what Asus will do. Sony did release the Xperia Z Ultra in the west, despite the fact that it didn't sell very well. It also took a while for the west to adopt to Samsung's Galaxy Note series as a everyday device too.

12. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    Yea but I'm not really a fan of the back fingerprint sensor in opposed to front. You're forced to pick up the phone every time. Xiaomi asked the community if they prefer it on the front or back and this played a huge role in the sensor being placed on the front of their flagship phone. What they should have done is make it a home button and put the navigation keys on the bottom. But hey, that's just my preference :p

I still can't believe a CS reference was made and Joe was the only one who missed it :D

13. peter11star

Devices:
    The way I see it, I think its a good idea to put it in the back mainly because that's where you put your fingers when you hold your phone, but I get your point though.

14. peter11star

Devices:
    I agree. I like the gear VR.

Thats crazy. I didn't know the iPad actually had a phone receiver.

15. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Same here. But I saw the kid make a call on their iPad then held it to her ear like a smartphone. I just wished that I had taken a picture of her doing that. Instead of setting up my SGSII.

16. peter11star

Devices:
    Podcast 067:

Not much of a podcast. But it was great seeing a big chunk of the AA team chillin together.

RIP Orlando shooting victims.
    RIP Christina Grimmie

17. KevinW94

KevinW94 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy s5, Galaxy s6
    Great idea for a dedicated forum to the podcast... I just hope there's no "average consumers" in here ;)

18. peter11star

Devices:
    Hindy hacked your account, didn't he? Lol

I'll be honest, I agree. It most certainly would be eaiser to find

19. peter11star

Devices:
    I have a question for you. Will phones be powerful enough to be amersive for VR?

20. Akash Jain

Devices:
    I don't think they are and will be at the current moment or soon enough. VR requires highly powerful hardware but phones do not have that at the current moment.
    Lets see what Daydream VR brings to us.