Roundup: here’s what happened on Sunday at CES + video playlist
The Consumer Electronics Show hasn’t opened its doors for visitors yet, but journalists and bloggers got early peeks at the newest, finest, and – we have to say – silliest products that companies have been bringing to Vegas. The press releases started flying as early as the middle of last week, but Sunday has been the day when exciting things finally began to happen.
Our team has been hard at work at CES and we have the posts and videos to show it. If you just want all the good stuff in one place, we have you covered. Here’s a look at what went down at CES 2014 on Sunday.
- The event of the day was probably Nvidia’s presser, which gave us the exciting new Tegra K1 (formerly known as Tegra 5), the first mobile SoC to incorporate a desktop-like Kepler GPU architecture. Tegra K1 chips will be available in two CPU variants, a 32-bit quad-core A15 model available in the first part of the year, and a 64-bit dual custom core model available – hopefully – by the end of the year.
- Google announced its Open Automotive Alliance that brings together carmakers like Audi, General Motors, Hyundai, and Honda with Google and Nvidia, with the goal to promote Android as a platform for connected cars. The first models are expected to be available in dealerships by the end of the year.
- Lenovo introduced an eye-pleasing All-in-One and a massive smart monitor running Android that combine high resolutions with Android 4.4 KitKat. Sweet stuff!
- We’ve also spent time with Lenovo’s first LTE device, the Vibe Z.
- Samsung’s Galaxy Note Pro leaked on a billboard spied at CES. Oops.
- LG acknowledged the existence of its long rumored fitness device. It’s dubbed Life Band Touch (catchy!) and we’ll get to see in person today.
- HP boasted about its own Android-powered All-in-One, the Slate 21 Pro.
- We’ve seen some sweet little (big boys) toys from Sphero and Parrot. Too bad Christmas is over…
- And we checked out the impressive Meizu MX3.
To get you into the atmosphere, here’s a playlist of the videos that Josh, Derek, and Darcy shot in their first day at the show.
What’s coming next? Some really good stuff – Xperia Z1S is rumored for today, Samsung will make a splash with the Note Pro and Tab Pro series, and Asus may be preparing a nice surprise for US fans.
Stay tuned for more coverage throughout the week!