Jelly Bean here, Jelly Bean there, Jelly Bean everywhere. Well, nearly. Though older devices won't enjoy an official Jelly Bean update, that certainly isn't stopping dedicated Android developers from making sure that everyone gets a taste of this newest treat. All it takes is for one Android developer to start something and the next thing you know, ROMs are being ported all over the place.
One of these lucky devices is the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. CyanogenMod 10 has earned quite some attention recently especially because this allows the device to get a taste of Jelly Bean before it arrives officially, if it does at all.
The ROM we'll be looking at today is still in the development stages so you can expect a few snags, such as being unable to mount the external SD card to the computer. The developer, XDA Developers member wrsmega, has reported that calls, SMS, data, Wi-Fi and camera are fully functional. Bluetooth and GPS may also be working, but they haven't been fully tested yet.
Learn how to upgrade the Samsung Captivate I897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM. Read on.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download wrsmega's fixed CyanogenMod 10 ROM V2 (CM10 CAPTIVATE V2 +GAPPS AND SU.zip, 159.49 MB)
- Download the Devil RC3 kernel (Devil3_1.0.2_jb_cappy_CFS_BLN_VC_20120722.zip)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Devil RC3 kernel and the CyanogenMod 10 V2 ROM files to your Captivate's internal SD Card.
- Turn off your Captivate.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons.
- In recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Make a NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Confirm the action on the next page.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and locate the Devil RC3 kernel.
- After the Devil RC3 kernel has finished flashing, choose Install ZIP from SD Card again.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and locate the CyanogenMod 10 V2 ROM file.
- After the CyanogenMod 10 V2 ROM file has finished flashing, select Go Back.
- Select Advanced > Fix Permissions.
- Return to main recovery menu and select Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You can now enjoy the taste of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 through CyanogenMod 10.