The Samsung Galaxy S has long been regarded as the spearhead of the awesome Galaxy line of mobile phones that we've purchased or will soon purchase. The phone came in numerous variants according to carriers. Today, though, we'll be focusing on the AT&T version of the phone, the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897.
Owners are surely captivated by this phone if they're still devotedly using the phone until now. The phone boasts a Super AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz processor and came to the market with Android 2.1 Eclair. But, the Eclair era is long gone, currently replaced by the colorful age of Jelly Bean. The Samsung Captivate will, of course, get its share of the well-regarded Android OS today via a custom ROM, courtesy of XDA Developers member crt60.
If you love anything orange, then this ROM is for you. AoCP is a custom ROM with the color orange as the dominant hue in its UI and themes. Fused with Jelly Bean, the ROM provides a smooth-as-butter-interface and other features that will surely make your experience with this ROM something different.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Captivate I897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AoCP custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and with Android 2.3 Gingerbread bootloader
- Download the following files:
- AoCP Jelly Bean ROM package (AoCP-i897-CP3.zip, md5sum: 19ad4851742edf68d3033e4b1b30b996)
- GApps (Google Apps) package for this ROM (gapps-jb-signed.zip, md5sum: 1da1dda9bcffacce172ec177a9e7a475)
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AoCP Jelly Bean ROM and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power buttons until the phone boots into recovery.
- NOTE: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in recovery.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /system.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the AoCP-i897-CP3.zip file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- Go to back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
- Once fully booted, switch off your phone and boot back into Recovery Mode.
- Install the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 8 and 9.
- Select Go back and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed AoCP ROM.
Great job! You have successfully installed the AoCP Jelly Bean ROM on your AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. Now your phone has all the goodness of Jelly Bean that you once thought you'll never experience. How do you find the ROM so far? Is it working well for you? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.