A lot of Android devices have been given the opportunity to run the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, whether by official update or unofficial ports and kangs. One of those privileged phones is the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897.
XDA Developers member krarvind shares an Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM for your Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. But instead of the pure ROM, this ROM has been trimmed down and has a reduced file size of around 80-90 MB, thus fitting to be named the Slim Bean ROM. This ROM is completely stock, carries a custom launcher, and also features a smaller DPI value, giving a crisper display for text and graphics. This ROM is still in its early stages and may contain some bugs.
If you want to try out this ROM, read on to learn how to upgrade the Samsung Captivate I897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Slim Bean custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Captivate with ClockworkMod Recovery Installed and running CyanogenMod 9 or AOKP ROM.
- Download the following files:
- Slim Bean 1.0 custom ROM for Samsung Captivate (I897_1.0.zip, md5sum: 65caba9b8a97f081ada7d7e358d80818)
- Common files for Slim Bean 1.0 (Common_1.x.zip, md5sum: 64f5dadc2bc6331129546eb0de66d5d8)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy both ZIP files to the phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously until recovery boots.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format systemon the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the I897_1.0.zipfile. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- NOTE: If the installation process finishes quickly (around 5 seconds or so), reflash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Go back to the main menu and flash common files package in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Slim Bean ROM on your Samsung Captivate SGH-I897.