Independent developers give huge contributions towards Android development. With developers constantly cooking and brewing custom ROMs, we can have the latest Android updates even if they weren't meant to run on our Android devices. We can also customize and tweak the performance of our Android device through developers' hard work. One popular custom ROM that is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is the MIUI ROM and you can enjoy it on your Samsung Captivate SCH-I897 through the JellyUI custom ROM.
The Samsung Captivate SCH-I897 officially runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread with the TouchWiz skin on top. If you want a totally brand new look on your phone with the latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update, you can try the JellyUI custom ROM, thanks to XDA Developers member Arisenhavok91.
The MIUI ROM is known for its sleek design and smooth performance. This ROM also has inbuilt themes support that lets you customize your Android skin. Bear in mind that this ROM is a custom ROM and may not be fully stable compared to stock ROMs. Bugs such as the lockscreen lag, malfunctioning Music player, or slow performance may be expected with this ROM.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Captivate I897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via JellyUI custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Captivate, model number SCH-I897. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Captivate SCH-I897 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running a stock ROM.
- Download the JellyUI v2.1 custom ROM (JellyUIv2.1.zip, 202 MB).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the JellyUI v2.1 ROM to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your mobile phone
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. When the screen turns on, release the buttons and ClockworkMod Recovery will boot in a while.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM: from the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until recovery finishes the backup process.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the ROM ZIP file.Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone. Wait until the flashing procedures completes
- Your phone may reboot in the middle of the installation process. If the phone reboots and gets stuck in a bootloop, you will need to take out the battery, re-insert it, and reboot your phone back to ClockworkMod Recovery and repeat steps 6 and 7. If your phone reboots and resumes installation, proceed to the next step.
- Once installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the JellyUIv2.1 ROM on your Samsung Captivate SCH-I897.