So many are eagerly waiting for and wanting to get Ice Cream Sandwich on their Android phones. It’s like a thirst that hasn’t been quenched quite yet. The sad thing about it is that manufacturers are taking forever to release ICS updates for their devices. Though we have our Android community to back us up with custom ICS ROMs, still they are not quite there yet. Some of us might already have tasted the awesomeness of ICS, but most of the time, satisfaction is partial. Most of the builds are not yet perfect.
If you are getting a bit hopeless about having ICS on your device, the latest custom ICS ROM for the Samsung Captivate will surely cheer you up. This custom ROM is said to be one of the most stable ones and a lot of happy users gave the ROM a thumbs up.
For those of you who don’t really have a Samsung Captivate, this will give you hope that the time for more stable custom ICS ROMs is near. And, if you do have the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897, why not load it up with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via Doc’s Master ICS ROM? Continue with the rest of this guide to learn how to do that.
This guide will only work with the Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. Check the version of your device by going to Settings > About Phone before you proceed. If you don’t have I897, please do not install this ROM.
And like what we always say, this process requires you to root your device and rooting it will void its warranty.
Read all of the instructions carefully first before you perform them on your device. In this way you will be able to anticipate what will happen next during the process.
- A Windows PC with internet connection
- The USB cable that will connect the device to the PC
- The device should already be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery has to be installed.
- The USB driver for the device has to be installed in your PC. You can get the USB driver here.
- Backup your data.
- The device should have a fully charged battery.
- Download Doc’s Master ICS ROM version 2 from here. Do not extract the ZIP file.
- Connect the device to your computer via the USB cable. Make sure the phone is unlocked so that the PC can properly recognize the device.
- Copy the ROM file into the root directory of the device’s internal SD card.
- Turn off the device. You may disconnect it from the PC at this point.
- Boot the device again and go into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down both the Volume Up and the Volume Down buttons while simultaneously pressing the Power button. (While in ClockworkMod Recovery you have to use the Volume buttons to navigate. Press the Power button to select an option.)
- Choose “Backup & Restore” from the main recovery menu and then go to “Backup” so you can backup the existing ROM.
- Perform a full wipe by choosing “Wipe data/Factory Reset” from the main menu.
- Clear the system cache by going into “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- Wipe the Dalvik cache as well. This option can be found under the “Advanced” menu.
- Format the system. You’ll find the option for doing that inside the “Mounts and Storage” menu.
- Return to the main recovery menu. Choose “Install Zip from SD card” from the main menu and then choose “Choose zip from SD card”.
- Look for the file that we copied into the device earlier and then select it. This will start the flashing of the ROM.
- Once the process is completed, go back to the main menu and then choose “Reboot system now”.
You can give yourself a pat on the back now. You now have Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. Enjoy!