Upgrade Samsung Captivate I897 to Android 4.0.3 ICS AOKP Build 27
It seems like the Ice Cream Sandwich craze isn’t going to die out anytime soon. For those of you who are familiar with the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP), build 27 of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has finally arrived for the Samsung Captivate I897. Thanks to developer Zaphod, a number of awesome features have been built into this release, such as the following:
- New weather panel dropdown, which not only shows more information but also gives you an option to refresh
- New power menu navigation bar controls when hidden, which allows you to control your phone even when it’s hidden
- Added ability to show navigation bar on devices that don’t have it by default
- Added ability to change navigation bar sizes
- Fixed boot animation sizes on xhdpi devices
- If you don’t have music controls enabled, and you have volume wake enabled, your device will now wake when playing music
- Fixed Face Unlock and music control layout on lockscreens
If that list of features has got you giddy, don’t wait a moment longer and scroll down to get this ROM on your Samsung Captivate I897. If you’re new to AOKP, and you’re not familiar with how to flash ROMs through ClockworkMod Recovery, have no fear. We’ll give you the step-by-step guide.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate I897 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Make sure that your Samsung Captivate I897’s battery is fully charged. This prevents the phone from shutting off in the middle of the upgrading process.
- Flashing this ROM will wipe all your apps, data and settings, so make sure to back them up.
- AOKP Build 27.
- GApps package.
Here’s how to upgrade your Samsung Captivate I897 to AOKP Build 27.:
- Download the AOKP Build 27 package onto your computer.
- Download the GApps package onto your computer.
- Copy both the AOKP Build 27 and the GApps package files to the root of your Samsung Captivate I897’s internal SD Card.
- Turn off your Samsung Captivate I897.
- Boot into Recovery by holding down both the Volume Up and Volume Down keys as you press the Power button.
- In recovery mode, make a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This allows you to return to your old ROM if something doesn’t work out with the AOKP Build 27. You can do this by selecting Backup and Restore > Backup from the recovery menu.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”. Confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select “Install ZIP from SD Card” and choose the AOKP Build 27 zip file.
- Once the ROM finishes installing, select “Go Back”.
- Return to “Install ZIP from SD Card” and this time, choose the GApps package zip file.
- Once GApps has finished installing, select “Go Back.”
- This time, select “Reboot System Now”.
Once your Samsung Captivate I897 has finished rebooting, you’ll now be running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich AOKP build 27.