Upgrade Samsung Captivate I897 to Android 4.0.3 ICS via official Codename Android ROM
Users of the Samsung Captivate I897 will have reasons to celebrate as an all new Ice Cream Sandwich ROM has been released for the device.
The fully opensource ROM known as Codename Android will set new standards in custom ROM modifications. Codename Android is based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and is built with speed, stability, and customizability in mind.
The Samsung Captivate I897 was recently blessed with the Codename Android ROM, which roughly translates to official Codename Android ROMs instead of unofficial ports.
The ROM is still in its beta version with some bugs and nonworking features. However, updates are being made in the form of nightlies which are released regularly.
Check out the rest of this guide to learn how to flash Codename Android on your Samsung Captivate I897 and upgrade the phone to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate I897 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or with at least 70% power left
- Backup of your personal phone data
- Download the latest nightly build of Codename Android ROM for the Samsung Captivate I897 from here and save it to your PC.
- Download the latest version of the GApps (Google Apps) package from here and save it to your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the two ZIP files into the root of your phone’s internal SD card (not microSD).
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone. You may have to wait at least 30 seconds for your phone to completely shutdown.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the screen flashes.
- Once inside recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM by selecting Backup and Restore > Backup from the menu.
- Reset your phone by selecting Wipe data/ factory reset from the menu and confirming the reset on the next screen.
- Select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard, browse for the ROM ZIP file you copied to the phone, and select the ZIP file with the Power button. Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes” to start flashing the ROM.
- Flash the Gapps package as in step 10.
- Select “go back” then choose “reboot system now” to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Captivate I897 through the Codename Android custom ROM.