It has not been long ago since the Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware update for the Samsung Captivate was released, and now an Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM for the Captivate is finally available.
However, this ICS firmware for the Captivate is unofficial and Samsung Electronics has left us with no clue on when the official ICS update will be coming.
Many users have already experienced Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices (mostly through custom ROMs), but many have still yet to try it on their devices. So, if you are one of those who are still craving for ICS, download and install this firmware to your Captivate now.
To help you decide if you want to continue installing this update, go over the list of the features of this firmware, as noted by the developers:
- Based on AOSP sources for Android 4.0.3
- Google Apps
- Platypus used as kernel base
- Pre-rooted ROM, with init.d support
- Full hardware acceleration, calls, SMS, data, audio
- Fully working touchscreen, Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth
- internal and external SD cards working fine
- Calendar sync
- Camera (Video Recording & Pictures)
- Touch to focus, Panorama mode
- Face Unlock
- Wired and wireless tethering
- FM Radio (AOSP does not support FM, download Spirit FM from Android Market)
- Fully working sensors
- Live OC support (download NSTools from Market)
- USB OTG support
- Voodoo Sound
- Voodoo Colour
- Battery Life eXtender
- Deep Idle
Take note that this is unofficial ICS firmware for the Samsung Captivate and it is only applicable to rooted phones. When you root your phone you will not be able to claim warranty anymore. Another thing is that this firmware should not be applied if your device is network-locked. Doing so may cause your phone to be bricked. Also, this guide is only for the model I897 of the Samsung Captivate.
Let’s go through all the things that you will need for applying this firmware on your device. Make sure that you don’t miss out on anything listed below before you proceed to the installation instructions.
- Root your Samsung Captivate I897.
- Make a back up of all the important files and data on your phone (i.e. SMS, contacts, notes, call log, images, videos, and APN & Network settings).
- Make sure that your battery is fully charged.
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging)
- Download Android 4.0.3 ICS RC 4.2 for the Samsung Captivate.
NOTE: We will not be held liable for any damage or loss of data on your device as a result of following this guide. Use this guide at your own risk.
Here’s how to install Android 4.0.3 RC 4.2 on the Samsung Captivate I897.
- Connect your phone to your PC via the USB data cable.
- Copy the ICS firmware file from your computer to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot the phone into Recovery mode. To do this, the press Volume Up key and OK button at the same time, then press the Power button.
- In Recovery mode, wipe your phone data by selecting “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition” to clear the cache.
- Select “install zip from SD card“, then ” style=”font-style: italic;”>choose zip from SD card”. Choose the file that you have copied earlier.The ROM will now be flashed. Wait for it to finish.
- When it’s done, select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now”.
- To check whether the installation is successful go to Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully upgraded your Samsung Captivate to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich RC 4.2.