Users of the Samsung Captivate Glide (model SGH-I927R) on Rogers could never be happier. First, they got a rooting solution for the Captivate Glide, and now, ClockworkMod Recovery 5 has been ported to the Samsung phone, thanks to XDA Developers member utkanos.
With ClockworkMod Recovery available for the Rogers variant of the Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-I927R, users will find it easier and more convenient to customize their handsets. This means that custom ROMs are just a flash away from the Captivate Glide.
ClockworkMod Recovery is a very useful tool especially for flasing ROMs on your device. It provides you with lots of options to work with–much more than what stock recovery can offer. With ClockworkMod on your SGH-I927R, you can
- apply updates from your SD card,
- install custom ROMs packaged as ZIP files directly from your SD card and without using Odin or your computer,
- back up your current ROM and restore it anytime you want,
- mount your SD card to several locations, as well as format your SD card, and
- reboot the phone in recovery mode, from where you can fix permissions, perform a full wipe of your phone’s data, report errors, partition your SD card, and more.
If you want to install ClockworkMod Recovery 5 on your Samsung Captivate Glide, check out the rest of this guide for the instructions.
- Root your Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-I927R.
- Install the Samsung USB drivers for your handset, otherwise the instructions won’t work. Download and install the drivers for 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows. You may need to reboot your PC after installing the drivers.
- Fully charge your phone’s battery.
- Uninstall Samsung KIES from your computer (if you have the tool installed).
Before you start, remember that these instructions are for the Rogers variant of the Samsung Captivate Glide with handset model SGH-I927R. If your phone has a different model, these instructions may or may not work. Also, do not hold us responsible for whatever happens to your phone after you follow the instructions. Proceed at your own risk.
Follow these steps to install ClockworkMod Recovery 22.214.171.124 Alpha on your Samsung Captivate Glide:
- Download the ClockworkMod Recovery 5 image for the Samsung Captivate. Get it from here and save it to your computer.
- Download Odin3 v1.85 from here and save the package to your computer. Extract the contents of the ZIP package.
- Turn off your phone. Wait for about 5 to 15 seconds before continuing.
- Reboot your phone into download mode as follows:
- With your phone powered off, hold down the Volume Up button.
- Without releasing the Volume Up button, press the Power button once to turn on your phone.
- When the options screen appears, release the Volume Up button.
- Press the Volume Up button once to boot into download mode.
- On your PC, run Odin3 v1.85.
- Using a USB cable, connect your phone to your PC. Odin3 should be able to recognize your phone (i.e., ID:COM will turn yellow and the Message box will display “Added!”).
- In the Odin3 window, click on the PDA button. Select the ClockworkMod Recovery file (the one with MD5 extension) to load it into Odin3.
- Under “Option” in Odin3, check the “Auto Reboot” box and leave the others unchecked.
- Press the Start button in Odin3 to start flashing the recovery image. You’d know that the process has finished when the box above the ID:COM field turns green and displays “Pass.” If the process takes an abnormally long time, try disconnecting the USB cable, removing the phone battery, putting the battery back in, and starting over from rebooting your phone into download mode.
- After the recovery image has been flashed, your phone will automatically reboot. Wait for the phone to reboot completely before disconnecting the USB cable.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery 126.96.36.199 Alpha on your Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-I927R.