Wi-Fi tethering is an essential feature on your Android phone. This feature allows you to share your mobile Internet connection to other devices, making your Android smartphone a portable Wi-Fi hotspot. AT&T’s HTC One X also packs this neat feature. Unfortunately, you will need to subscribe to AT&T’s Wi-Fi tether plan to enjoy this feature.
Aside from your daily source of ROMs and updates, XDA Developers could also be a black market of mods and hacks that lets you enjoy extended features on your mobile phone without the need to comply with such requirements. Recognized XDA Developers member t0mmy has created a kit that unlocks the stock Wi-Fi tether option on your AT&T One X without your having to subscribe to a tether plan.
What’s more is that this tool is absolutely noob-friendly and lets you enjoy this feature with just a click of a button. Read on so you will learn how to unlock the tether option on your AT&T One X and share your mobile connection to other devices.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T’s HTC One X. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An AT&T One X with unlocked bootloader and root access.
- Download the one click tether enabler for AT&T HTC One X (tether1.1.zip, 246.2 kB).
- Download and install HTC Sync to your computer. This will install the necessary drivers for your mobile phone. Make sure close HTC Sync before following the procedures below.
- Android Software Development Kit (SDK) and ADB installed on your computer. Check out our guides on how to install Android SDK and how to use ADB on your computer.
- A RAR archive extracting tool such as WinRAR installed on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging. You can do that by going to Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- Disable all system tools such as firewall programs, antivirus software, and HTC Sync to avoid any interruptions during the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- To ensure that your phone has enough power for the entire procedure, charge the phone’s battery to 70% or more.
- Download the one-click tether enabler for AT&T’s HTC One X from the link above.
- Extract tether1.1.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Using the USB cable, connect your HTC One X to the computer.
- Go to the extracted folder and double-click tether.bat. This will initiate the tether enabling process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Voila! You have enabled Wi-Fi tethering on your AT&T HTC One X. You can now share the love by sharing your phone’s Internet connection to your other devices.