No matter how unbreakable a phone, a crafty developer will definitely find a way to achieve root access. One such crafty developer is XDA Developers member djrbliss who has found an easy and quick way for Motorola Atrix HD MB886 users to root their device.
Say hello to the MotoFail2Go root exploit which doesn't just work on this one device but also on several other Motorola phones. It's a handy tool for new Android users who want to enjoy a taste of freedom without having to follow complicated and technical guides. If you're unfamiliar with rooting, you can read our beginner’s guide to rooting your Android device.
What's great about the MotoFail2Go root exploit is that it doesn't require you to unlock your phone's bootloader. This has been proven and tested to work for both the SIM-free Atrix HD and the Bell version of the phone. The method also works for other Motorola devices, such as the Razr M, Razr HD, Razr I, and Photon Q.
This guide shows you how to root the Atrix HD MB886.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola Atrix HD, model number MB886. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Motorola Atrix HD MB886
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Settings > Developer options and tick the USB debugging option.
- A Windows PC
- Download and install Motorola Drivers (MotorolaDeviceManager_2.3.4.exe, 31.5 MB) on your PC.
- Download the Motorola rooting file (motofail2go_windows.zip, 2.4 MB) to your PC
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- Windows should detect your phone.
- If not, try to re-install your phone's drivers.
- On your computer, extract the Motofail2go_windows.zip file.
- Open the folder where you extracted the Motofail2go_windows.zip file and double-click the Run.bat file to launch it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Your phone will automatically reboot when it's done.
- Unplug your phone from your computer.
- If you encounter a run-as: Package ‘com.motorola.bug2go’ is unknown error, just wipe your /data and /cache partitions in Recovery Mode and run the Run.bat file again.
Nicely done! Your Motorola Atrix HD MB886 has been rooted using the MotoFail2Go root exploit.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.