Upgrade Motorola Atrix 4G to Android 4.0.3 ICS Via CyanogenMod 9
If you have given up hope for the Ice Cream Sandwich update for your Motorola Atrix 4G, then you’re in luck—we have a step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your device via CyanogenMod 9.
The Motorola Atrix has been known for its 1 GHz dual-core processor, qHD display, a fingerprint scanner running on the back, and Android 2.3 Gingerbread running in its system. However, through CyanogenMod 9, you can now get Ice Cream Sandwich up and running on your Atrix 4G.
CyanogenMod 9 for the Motorola Atrix 4G is currently in its beta form. So, expect a few bugs and some features not yet working properly on your device. Nevertheless, most of the features of ICS work perfectly in the ROM, especially the following:
- Text, calls, MMS
- Gyroscope, proximity sensor, compass, GPS
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- Google Maps, Calendar Sync, YouTube HD, games, Gallery, Movie and Picture Editor
- HDMI-out (portrait/landscape)
- Bragging mode x2 oc/uv enabled
Long list, eh? If you want to experience Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola Atrix 4G, continue reading and find out how to install CyanogenMod 9 on your Motorola Atrix 4G.
Requirements and Reminders
Here are some things you’ll be needing before flashing the ROM:
- A rooted Motorola Atrix 4G (We have a rooting guide for the Atrix 4G right here.)
- ClockworkMod Recovery flashed on your device
- Make sure your phone has at least 60% power or more to keep your device running throughout the entire procedure.
- Create a backup of your phone data or transfer all your files in your SD card in case it will be corrupted during installing the ROM.
- Install the ROM at your own risk. We are not held liable for any damage arising from your use of this information.
- Download the CyanogenMod 9 (Alpha 7, as of this writing) for the Motorola Atrix 4G from here and save it to your computer.
- Download gApps (Google Apps) package for CyanogenMod 9 from here. Save it to your computer.
- Copy both ZIP files into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Turn off your device and reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery. Press and hold down both the Volume Down key and Power button until “Fastboot” is displayed on the top-left part of the screen. Use the Volume Down key to scroll to “Android Recovery”, then press the Volume Up key. Once the warning icon appears, tap the bottom-right corner of the screen (just above the Search key).
- Once you’ve entered the phone into Recovery Mode, perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset from the menu.
- Select Wipe Cache from the menu.
- Go to Advanced Settings > Wipe Dalvik Cache, and confirm to clean out the Dalvik cache.
- After cleaning out your phone’s data, select “Install Zip from SD card” and choose the CyanogenMod 9 update file. Confirm that you want to flash the file. Wait a bit for the update to finish flashing. Repeat this step for the gApps ZIP file.
- After installing the ROM and Google Apps, Select “Go Back” and choose “Reboot System Now”.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed CyanogenMod 9 on your Motorola Atrix 4G. You will now be able to taste the sweetest treat from Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.