We’ve already heard of the news rolling out that the Motorola Atrix 4G won’t be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich anytime soon. But, word has come out that the Atrix 4G is getting some developer love with a brand-new unofficial MIUI 4 port for the device.
This unofficial MIUI 4 port for the Motorola Atrix 4G may yet be the best alternative that you could have while waiting for the official update from Motorola. As you may already know, MIUI 4 is based on CyanogenMod 9 source. MIUI 4 is loaded with a heavily themed UI with tons of customization and various options exclusive to the ROM that is not normally present on stock ROMs.
The only downside of MIUI 4 ROMs is that they are not completely stable for daily use yet, as CyanogenMod 9 is still under heavy development.
Some of the known issues of this unofficial MIUI 4 port for the Atrix 4G are as follows (verbatim quote from developer):
- First boot takes little long
- Media scanner can’t scan sd-ext
- USB mass storage can’t mount sd-ext (But able to access in file manager)
- MIUI Theme seems to not working correctly sometimes.
- Data not working.
If those bugs don’t scare you, read on to find out how you can install MIUI 4 on your Motorola Atrix 4G.
- Rooted Atrix 4G with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% of battery left
- Backup of your personal phone data
- Download the MIUI 4 ICS ROM here and save it to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded MIUI 4 ICS ROM file to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by holding down the “Volume Down” button and pressing the “Power” button once. Keep the Volume Down button pressed until the fastboot screen appears. Press the Volume Down button several times until you see “Android Recovery” on the top left of the screen. Press Volume Up to boot into recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can always restore your original ROM later. You can perform a backup by selecting “Backup and Restore” then select “Backup” on the screen that follows.
- From the main recovery menu, perform a full wipe by selecting “Wipe data/Factory Reset” then select “Yes” on the screen that follows.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” then select “Yes” on the screen that follows.
- On the main menu of recovery, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Select “Install zip from SD card” on the main menu of recovery.
- Select “Choose zip from SD card” then browse for the ROM package that you copied to your SD card. Select “Yes” on the screen that follows to begin flashing the ROM.
- When installation finishes, select “Go Back”, then select “Reboot System Now”. It may take a while to boot your device on its first run.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola Atrix 4G via MIUI 4.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.