Well, Australia is certainly having a good week when it comes to device announcements and releases. ASUS today confirmed on Facebook that both the ASUS Padfone and the Transformer Pad TF700/Infinity are expected to be available in Australia in July, when asked on the ASUS Australia Facebook page.
Ok, not great news with the wait longer than a month, but at least the announcement gives you enough time to start saving up to buy the devices that are both going to feature hefty price tags. As a reminder, here is a quick recap of the specifications of both truly amazing devices.
ASUS Padfone specs
- 4.3″ Super AMOLED capacitive touch screen, 10.1″ tablet multi-touch tablet screen
- 960×540 resolution, 1280×800 tablet resolution
- 1.5 Ghz dual core Qualcomm SnapDragon S4
- 1GB RAM
- 64 GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 1500 mAH battery in phone, 6547 mAH tablet battery (which also charges the phone)
ASUS Transformer Pad TF700 specs
- 10.1″ multi-touch capacitive Super IPS+ display
- 1920×1200 resolution
- 1.5Ghz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor(for 3G/4G LTE), 1.6 Ghz quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 (WiFi only)
- 16/32/64GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 25Whr (6757 mAH) battery
- 8MP rear camera, 2MP front camera
There has been a lot of interest in the ASUS Padfone because of its unique Inception-like concept, with its phone-becomes-a-tablet-becomes-a-laptop idea. However, the true value vs. cost ratio that is sure to apply for this device is likely going to be a turn off for many.
Similarly, while the Transformer Pad TF700 defines the high-end gadgets, the price will again be a major factor. Especially considering the equally impressive Transformer Pad TF300 (10.1″ 1280×800 resolution, quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3, 8MP rear camera) which is already on sale in Australia featuring an AUD 499 (tablet only) or AUD 599 (with keyboard dock) price tag. Only time will tell whether the novelty of the Padfone concept and the amazing specifications of the Transformer Pad TF700 will be enough for consumers to ignore the high associated cost. That being said, no official information on the price of the devices is currently available.
What are your thoughts? Are you excited about the Padfone and Transformer Pad TF700? Is waiting until July a requirement you can’t console yourself on? Will the device features be enough to offset the high price? Will you be picking up either (or both) device when it is available? Let us know in the comments section below.