ASUS Fonepad arrives in South East Asia
The 8GB version of the ASUS Fonepad with 3G mobile data and voice-calling has just been launched in South East Asia. This 8GB version features a microSD slot that is expandable to 32GB, and has 9 hours of battery life.
Unlike most 7-inch tablets in the market, the Fonepad comes with a 1.2GHz Z2420 Intel Atom processor, built on Intel’s 32nm process technology and optimized for the Android platform. According to Prakash Mallaya, Country Manager of Intel Malaysia and Singapore, the Intel Atom Z2420 chip delivers the power efficiency, performance capabilities, and flexibility needed to accommodate a range of devices and market needs. “Consumers do not wish to wait for anything”, he added. This new chip is in fact, made in Malaysia, in the state of Penang.
The Fonepad has a 3MP rear camera (capable of 720p video recording) and a 1.2MP front camera. With a 1280 x 800 (HD) display, the Fonepad is more than capable of managing hardware-accelerated 1080p video decoding. Everything’s packed into a sleek metallic design. The Fonepad is available in 4 colours and can be purchased with an optional VersaSleeve 7, a wrap-around cover that doubles as a stand.
Asus Fonepad full specifications
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Intel Atom Z2420 (1.2GHz) with PowerVR SGX540 GPU
- 7-Inch HD (1280×800) LED backlit with IPS technology (10-point multi-touch)
- 1.2MP front camera
- 3 MP back camera with 720p HD video recording
- 1GB ram
- 8GB storage, microSD up to 32GB
- WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 2100
- GSM/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- HSPA+ 21Mbit/s download, 5.76Mbit/s upload
- WiFi 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth 3.0
- GPS, Glonass, Accelerometer, proximity, ambient light, e-compass
- Noice-cancelling digital microphone
- Micro-SIM slot
- Li-polymer 16Wh (4270mAh)
- 196.4 x 120.1 x 10.4 mm
Like other ASUS tablets, the Fonepad will features preloaded apps like SonicMaster, Floating App, SuperNote, and 5GB of free lifetime ASUS WebStorage. The Fonepad is available in Malaysia for RM 849 (283 USD) for the 8GB model.