Hello Android fans! Are you excited for MWC 2016 yet? This week we’ve got a slew of reports about devices coming at MWC, including the Galaxy S7, LG G5, and the Xiaomi Mi 5. A set of credible Galaxy S7 press renders leaked out, along with info about Samsung’s upcoming upgrade program. We’ve also got a glimpse of the LG G5, while LG cleared out an issue affecting many G4 owners. Google brought out updates to many of its apps, including the troubled Hangouts. Several big companies released their quarterly earnings, giving us an idea of their financial health. And the first major One M10 leak happened, courtesy of @evleaks.
Inside AA HQ
Our Josh Vergara took some well deserved time off late last year and he thought about trying something new. For the entire month of December, Josh used an iPhone. Oh my, I know what you’re thinking. What was Josh thinking and how could he betray Android like that. No worries, Josh returned to work and to the Android ecosystem come CES, so nothing really changed, but he did come with some interesting conclusions out of the whole experience. Check the full story out right here.
We gave out some excellent prizes over the years, including some of the hottest smartphones of the moment. This Sunday Giveaway is a little different, because the manufacturer of the prize is less well known. That said, the Nuu Mobile X4 is definitely worthy of your attention, and we’re giving away five of them right now. Good luck everybody!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: Looking back at the Nexus devices of 2016, and what they tell us about this year’s generation
- Review: Affordable premium? Is that even possible? Honor 5X review
- Hands-on: What it’s like to use the Galaxy S6 with the Marshmallow beta
- Feature: These are the six phones we look forward to the most this year
- Opinion: Andrew has a request for Huawei: please help your lousy software!
- Tech talk: Graphene – what you need to know about this wonder material
- Feature: HTC struggled throughout 2015, will 2016 be any better?
News of the week
The Next Galaxy
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge: possible press renders revealed
- The Galaxy S7 Edge+ has reportedly been cancelled, only two flagships left
- Rumored Galaxy Upgrade Program scheduled for S7 launch
- Galaxy S7 could launch in Europe on March 11th
- Leaked: Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge release date
LG comes clean on G4 issue
- LG G4 owners launch petition to address bootloop issue
- LG admits G4 bootloop problem is a hardware fault, will repair affected devices
LG G5 details surface
- Display case seems to confirm LG G5 button placement
- The LG G5 and its “magic slot” modules: some thoughts
Google apps updates
- Latest Inbox by Gmail update will help you find important info much faster
- Google Hangouts version 7.0 rolling out, quick replies and conversation shortcuts on board
- Google Play Store adds a thumb for quick positive feedback
- Google Docs mobile suite now has full comment control
- Google Calendar updated with new event suggestions, holidays and languages
- OPPO sold over 50 million units in 2015 demonstrating 67% annual growth
- LG posts narrower loss, sold 60 million handsets last year
- Samsung rewards Mobile division employees despite poor performance in 2015
- LG Display sees Q4 profits tumble, bets big on OLED
- Global smartphone sales hit a record high in 2015, but growth is slowing
- Qualcomm declares 24 percent drop in profits
- Sony image sensor and smartphone sales take a hit
- Samsung’s fourth quarter earnings out, profits down 40%
MI 5 @ MWC 2016
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.